1999 Jackal pro's and Con's?

Richard Z

I have my eye on a 1999 Jackal that I am doing some haggling on. It's missing the side covers (silver painted) but other than that its a running motorcycle with minor wear and 9000 miles on it. I haven't ridden it but will do so in the next week or so. Long story, but I reworked a 92 GSXR for this kid. (carbs, tune up, chain, sprockets etc.) About $700 worth in repair. Just speaking with him I could possibly boot him another $500 and ride the Jackal Home with clean title.

What should I start looking for etc. Clutch, Brakes, Ignition, mechanical etc.

Your input is appreciated.

thanks,

Richard Z

I have my eye on a 1999 Jackal that I am doing some haggling on. It's missing the side covers (silver painted) but other than that its a running motorcycle with minor wear and 9000 miles on it. I haven't ridden it but will do so in the next week or so. Long story, but I reworked a 92 GSXR for this kid. (carbs, tune up, chain, sprockets etc.) About $700 worth in repair. Just speaking with him I could possibly boot him another $500 and ride the Jackal Home with clean title.

Your input is appreciated.

thanks,

Richard Z

The Jackal is a great bike- underrated and much better looking in my opionion than the shiny EV. Just like the V11, relays can be a weak point but easily rectified. Fuel cap can stick but a bit of lubing with white grease into the lock mechanism can prevent this.

If it still has the stock cheapo Sachs shocks worth swapping these and the standard non-adjustable Marzocchis react well to uprating the internals. Seat is a bit thin and hard for long distances- I got mine rebuilt.

If you ride with lots of luggage and pillion may be worth upgrading to a second front disc if this has not been done already- you can buy a kit to do this but its quite expensive.

Handling is superb for a cruiser and nearly as fast as a V11.

Guy :helmet:

About the only thing you should immediately start looking for would be the Guzzi factory 2nd front brake disc & caliper kit... ;)

The Jackal was Guzzi's attempt to boost sales by making an affordable cruiser that offered all the necessities w/ no unwanted extras. A "blank canvas" if you will for the home customizer. So it only came w/ a single front disc [cruisers not being known for braking prowess], which is really about the only necessary upgrade for the sporting rider beyond the obvious suspension fettling.

Get it & enjoy!

About the only thing you should immediately start looking for would be the Guzzi factory 2nd front brake disc & caliper kit... ;)

The Jackal was Guzzi's attempt to boost sales by making an affordable cruiser that offered all the necessities w/ no unwanted extras. A "blank canvas" if you will for the home customizer. So it only came w/ a single front disc [cruisers not being known for braking prowess], which is really about the only necessary upgrade for the sporting rider beyond the obvious suspension fettling.

Get it & enjoy!

Even with the single disc, I'm sure it will out ride and perform the 2002 Big Dog pitBull I've been riding lately...

BTW, being the lazy folk that I am, what's the source for the replacement relay's Brand, Part #'s... I know. Go look them up myself. LOL

LOOK FOR A CASH MACHINE FAST THAT WILL BE A STEAL OF A DEAL. The EV had tubeless rims and the steel chrome ones on a Jackal are the worst part about it. you'll probably need the seat re-worked. the EV LUGGAGE CAN BE ADAPTED.

it won't replace your V11 tho..

Well, It's home. I have about $1100 out of pocket. Clear title and I had the mileage wrong. 4181 miles. Not 9000.

The taillight bracket has been bodged and the Rear turn signals need some help. There are no side covers as expected. I rode it around the neighborhood. However, I need to add some air to the tires. It need fork seals desperately and the Ignition switch replaced. No key for bike. 1st owner lost them then found them after breaking the ignition and seat tumblers.

No rust in or on the exhaust. Needs a battery looks like the fluids need changed. The tank has some scratches on top of it but no dents and it has good gas in it and no rust. It has been sitting awhile and needs TLC.

I'm thinking of disassembling and fixing and powdercoating a few things. Along with repainting the tank. The same color of course. the fenders are in great shape. A few of the aluminum pieces needs some polishing. The fork seals have leaked long enough to discolor the fork tubes. So those will have to be powdercoated when putting new seals in.

It got dark here fast and I only was able to snap the one camera phone pic.

544e61f5822f-1.jpg

Thanks for the tips fella's. Greatly appreciated. Now the long process of learning about the bike before tearing into it.

Richard Z.

Guest ratchethack

OUTSTANDING, Richard. Nice find. :bier:

This is the kind of project I'd be likely to tackle myself these days.

One of your best resources for working on/upgrading a Jackal has to be Todd Eagan at GuzziTech.

In case you don't know him, Todd's a long-time Guzzi Supporter Extraordinaire, and half of GuzziTech, with Ed Milich.

Here's a page on the GuzziTech site that tracks the evolution of Todd's own Jackal:

http://www.guzzitech.com/thebikes/ToddsJackal.html

One of the most distinguishing features of the bike that doesn't show up in the photo's is the "custom bituminous-ground footpegs", which have been ground back to stubs. B)

Have fun! :mg: