Stuck Seat

Thomas Steele

Hey, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this and I admit it's been a long time since I've posted anything (sorry...), but I have a problem and I know this is the group to help me.

In the cold weather we've been having and all the snow and ice, I had to park the beast ('03 V11 LeMans) for a couple weeks. When I went to restart the battery was too low and I couldn't start it. I put it on the trickle charger and a couple days later, no better. Now I need to take the battery out so I can have it looked at. Problem is, I can get the bloody seat off. This is an old problem that I have ignored for about 18 months. I turn the key and can hear the mechanism move but the seat will not budge. I have no idea what is blocking it and I cannot get it to come off.

Any suggestions?? I'm tired of having my wife drive me the 20 miles to the ferry each day to get to work (and I really don't want to take the bus).

---

Thomas Steele

Hey, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this (I also posted to the technical forum) and I admit it's been a long time since I've posted anything (sorry...), but I have a problem and I know this is the group to help me.

In the cold weather we've been having and all the snow and ice, I had to park the beast ('03 V11 LeMans) for a couple weeks. When I went to restart the battery was too low and I couldn't start it. I put it on the trickle charger and a couple days later, no better. Now I need to take the battery out so I can have it looked at. Problem is, I can get the bloody seat off. This is an old problem that I have ignored for about 18 months. I turn the key and can hear the mechanism move but the seat will not budge. I have no idea what is blocking it and I cannot get it to come off.

Any suggestions?? I'm tired of having my wife drive me the 20 miles to the ferry each day to get to work (and I really don't want to take the bus).

i would try a couple of things, make sure you spray some WD40 or better yet, some Tri-Flow in the lock mechanism to make sure it is turning all the way. Then when you have the lock turned (say "honey, you got a second?", give the top of the seat a good smack from top. It just may pop up. If you get it off, make sure you check the pin end of the latch to see there are no burrs, and you may even grease the inside of the latch. Good Luck.

i would try a couple of things, make sure you spray some WD40 or better yet, some Tri-Flow in the lock mechanism to make sure it is turning all the way. Then when you have the lock turned (say "honey, you got a second?", give the top of the seat a good smack from top. It just may pop up. If you get it off, make sure you check the pin end of the latch to see there are no burrs, and you may even grease the inside of the latch. Good Luck.

Dang! Didn't work. I put a little WD-40. I also tried a little Mobile-1 on the key. My hands are stinging from smacking the seat every which way. I've also tried prying the seat with a large screwdriver, though too much leverage is going to crack the plastic. Still nothing. And still open to ideas....Thanks!

Take a very good flashlight and look between the seat and tailpiece. Use a long small blade regular tip screwdriver to push the lever to open.

Also if you look in the forums there are pictures of what you are trying to accomplish.

where the key goes in, there a cable comes out. And between outer cable and lock put something, so the outer side gets longer, then the lock will open more then normal. Why do need to open it to drive the bike anyway? If you need to change the battery, put the + from charger on the top connection on the starter engine, where the fat cable is attached.

I see in other post that you can't get it working with a tricle changer. First measure battery voltage, if it is under 9 volts I don't think you get the battery back to life again. For opening up from top, slide something between seat and tail from the side. I've done it before.

where the key goes in, there a cable comes out. And between outer cable and lock put something, so the outer side gets longer, then the lock will open more then normal. Why do need to open it to drive the bike anyway? If you need to change the battery, put the + from charger on the top connection on the starter engine, where the fat cable is attached.

I see in other post that you can't get it working with a tricle changer. First measure battery voltage, if it is under 9 volts I don't think you get the battery back to life again. For opening up from top, slide something between seat and tail from the side. I've done it before.

Thanks. I'll try this. If my battery is under 9 volts, obviously I need to change it or get it fixed. That's one reason why I'm trying to get the seat off. I could jump start it using the starter motor method.

Not to question intelligence or suggest the obvioius, but have you tried pressing down on the seat while turning the key? There may be pressure on the mechanism.

Best of luck to you.

Fair question. Answer is: Tried it. Also tried smacking seat while turning key, etc. There were some other suggestions in the other forums that I will also try.

Thanks for the ideas.

Thanks. I'll try this. If my battery is under 9 volts, obviously I need to change it or get it fixed. That's one reason why I'm trying to get the seat off. I could jump start it using the starter motor method.

I would't jump start it when the battery is totaly flat, then it won't stabilize the voltage, and you might fry the ecu.