V11 Fuel Injection Issue.

Richard Z

I got the Jackal home the other day and rode it around the block. I knew it was going to need a lot of work. It was just shy of being a basket case after further inspection.

Here is where I am.

I went thru and replace all the Fuel, PCV lines etc. Replace the Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter. However, I have a miss. I've got spark but no fuel on the left side.

I'm guessing the Injector is bad. However, without swapping them from side to side, is there another method to verify. I have voltage to the connector but no fuel.

The bike sat for some time. Even the pintle valve from the tank to the pump was rusted stuck. What's the chances this injector is the same way.

Any input appreciated, even if it's moral support... LOL

Thanks,

Richard Z.

I was gonna say water in fuel line, but you replaced them so that's not it.

Maybe a good dose of injector cleaner and just ride around (or idle) on the one cylinder for a while will cure it?

Measure the injector with an ohm meter, should be low resistance (12 ohms). You can also connect a 6V battery directly to it (for very short periods) and listen to it, maybe even exercise it enough to start working.

Hey Rich,

The injector is a simple solenoid. Unplug the injector and see which wire is hot with the key on (they will both be hot when plugged in because the power is going through the injector) Once you determine which one has power, plug it back in and back probe the other wire with a 12V test light. Hook the clip of the test light to battery +. Crank the engine. The light should flash as the ECU is grounding the injector. It is a very short pulse, only a few milliseconds so the light will not light bright but you should see it flicker. Obviously a lab scope is the right way to check for injector signal but you should be able to see the light flash. Verify the flashing matches the working side.

Hope this helps.

Richard,

I think the injector plug is a "Bosch" type connector. You can purchase a "noid" light to plug into the connector to check for pulse. These can be purchased at auto parts stores or tool (Snap-On) trucks. These are inexpensive and you will want to keep them around for troubleshooting. If you are getting a pulse you might be able to tap on the injector with a 3/8" extension(while the engine is running) to free up the injector pintle. Believe it or not this usually works.

Damn Guys, One at a time.... LOL Wow. Excellent information.

Going from last to first:

Yep its a Bosch Injector. I used to have a noid light that plugged in years ago. Somewhere between divorce, selling tool box and moving, who knows where its at.

So I used a test light probe. It flickers fast but you can tell it's pulsing.

It's definately water in the lines. However, since I replaced the lines that only took care of part of the restriction.

Ontop of the injector is a cast 90* fitting that is attached with a couple of collars and a snap ring. I remove both injectors and removed those fittings from the top of the injectors. Well I'll be dipped in Shit and rolled in bread crumbs, those fittings were so full of SH!T. Spent the evening cleaning the fittings and reinstalling everything. Wow. What a difference.l

Damn thing runs wonderful. This Jackal might actually see the light of day.

Thanks for the help fella's. greatly appreciated.

Damn Guys, One at a time.... LOL Wow. Excellent information.

Going from last to first:

Yep its a Bosch Injector. I used to have a noid light that plugged in years ago. Somewhere between divorce, selling tool box and moving, who knows where its at.

So I used a test light probe. It flickers fast but you can tell it's pulsing.

It's definately water in the lines. However, since I replaced the lines that only took care of part of the restriction.

Ontop of the injector is a cast 90* fitting that is attached with a couple of collars and a snap ring. I remove both injectors and removed those fittings from the top of the injectors. Well I'll be dipped in Shit and rolled in bread crumbs, those fittings were so full of SH!T. Spent the evening cleaning the fittings and reinstalling everything. Wow. What a difference.l

Damn thing runs wonderful. This Jackal might actually see the light of day.

Thanks for the help fella's. greatly appreciated.

This winter you can send the injectors to Lindertech in Indianapolis, In. They can clean, refurbish and flow rate to match the two injectors. This place is very good and very reasonable to boot! Aside from a PowerCommander this is the most important thing you can do to keep this running in top shape.

This winter you can send the injectors to Lindertech in Indianapolis, In. They can clean, refurbish and flow rate to match the two injectors. This place is very good and very reasonable to boot! Aside from a PowerCommander this is the most important thing you can do to keep this running in top shape.

Cool thanks. I'll look into it. The Jackal will probably be just my bar hopper. I want to replicate a bike I had years ago, but with a little more comfort in mind. I'll spend more coin on the Sport now that I have another Guzzi to ride.

Gene:

Call me at work Tuesday, and I can give you a couple ideas that have worked for us. I just don't have time to type it all out today.

I wil call you anyway because I need to get some parts for Givi monokey mounts.

I went out this evening to fire the bike up.. Damn cold blooded. I think there is still residual bad gas or crud still somewhere. It popped and banged a little. Just some slight backfire through the Throttle bodies and exhaust. Once it was warmed up, it idled better and seemed to have better throttle response.

I found an oil leak while it was running. The banjo fitting on top the crankcase that feeds the cylinders. I may try to tighten it before heading out after more crush washers.

I found an oil leak while it was running. The banjo fitting on top the crankcase that feeds the cylinders. I may try to tighten it before heading out after more crush washers.

This may be obvious but back it off a quarter turn then tighten it.