Moly Adds

Motomonster

MG recommends a few drops (2 cc) in the rear drive oil,

it reinforce the oil while heat and high pressure puts the oil

under heavy load.

A few drop in the gearbox won't hurt either since we have

dry-clutches, don't use it with wetclutch.

I would not put any such additive in the motor oil since

motor oil have to flow through channels without restiction

while transmission oil are almost stationary.

I agree with Gthyny.

I figured out the ratio for the rear end and put that much moly in my gear box. It has been working great that way for almost two years and the bike has almost 13k miles on it now. I have never had to replace a return spring yet either! (Knock on wood!)

It's Fall and I need to flush the hydraulics and change fluids in the gear box and rear drive. (I have been averaging 6k per year, so I do the gear box and drive box annually. Engine oil gets done every 3k miles though.) When I do the job, I'll let y'all know if I find anything abnormal. If you don't hear from me about it, consider it good news.

My bike is still for sale, though I am not actively advertising it. I plan to put it back on EBay come Spring. Great bike, beat up owner! The weather is turning and I can feel it in my joints. I never look forward to Winter! I have been working my butt off lately on outdoor projects to get them done before my arthritis shuts me down!

I got a pressure washer a couple weeks ago! Very cool tool! My wife's cedar garden shed and our front porch deck (22' x 10'.) now look like new again! I put a 5 year clear water proofing treatment on all the bare wood two days ago. Looks great! Blasted all the bricks on our almost 30 year old house clean too. Doesn't damage the brick's finish or the mortar either!

I'll keep it away from drive chains, electronics and bearings (No bike cleaning with it!) But on the house and out-building's, it's awesome!

"Cleanliness is next to finishing the Honey-Do List!". :D

Right on what the above folks mentioned. Another quick addition- the moly (MoS2) does break down with time/temperature/pressure so it's lifetime in an engine environment is short. Some engine oils nowadays (some exxon varients) have an additive that is a chemical that breaks down (with heat, etc) into MoS2. So, put it in the engine and it continually produces the moly that is continually breaking down. Clever strategy, eh?

I run a bit of moly in *all* my gearboxes/rear drives (eldo/V11/etc) and in the engine of my lawnmower. I refuse to change the oil in that POS, but it just won't die.

Cheers,

Jason