Tenni valuation

Emerson00

There's a Tenni for sale. At a dealer.

Bike has a very nice MG Ti exhaust. It also has engine peeling. No other extras, and around 4-5k miles.

Seems to me the uncorrected engine peeling and lack of extras cancels the value of the (used) exhaust system... Making it closer to book value.

I'm aware the engine paint isn't a mechanical issue and is only a longevity issue; however, it's a permanant/expensive blemish on a bike which, to me, is interesting in part for its aesthetic value.

Thoughts, suggestions?

yes, I'm looking at a couple of different LeMans... they all have issues - either bad odometers, peeling, etc... The odometer seems like a "simple" part-swap and the bikes do come with new replacements... but if it were that easy, why not repaired yet.

Well, you'll find solutions on the forum for the engine paint that aren't too painful or expensive. After that, the MG exhaust is worth a fair amount, and the Tenni holds it's value better than most in the line as far as book goes. After that, it sounds like six of one, half dozen of the other. That said, I know which one I'd pick, but... :P

I'll give you a hundred dollars for the used exhaust!

The exhaust, although used, cost about $1400 new?

I have the "paint problem" on mine and for now I feel I can just ignore it. When it bothers me enough, I'll fix it.

A broken odo on any vehicle makes me nervous. That whole "True Miles Unknown" statement leaves too much to the imagination, so unless I am planning to rebuild it anyway, I pass unless it is just tooooooo screamin' a deal.

And then, of course, anything less than a Tenni is just a LeMans.

I have the "paint problem" on mine and for now I feel I can just ignore it. When it bothers me enough, I'll fix it.

A broken odo on any vehicle makes me nervous. That whole "True Miles Unknown" statement leaves too much to the imagination, so unless I am planning to rebuild it anyway, I pass unless it is just tooooooo screamin' a deal.

The dealer tells me it's a $2700 exhaust - titanium, includes MG computer/chip/whatever it is. I like the exhaust - it's an additional draw to a Tenni. The engine peeling bugs me. My Ducati's engine paint peeled and it was just a blemish; it could be a long term problem, but mostly it's just an aesthetic issue... but it bugged me, rational or not.

I've always thought on the resale market any used farkle/goodie/extra is valued around 1/2 original value. Even if the exhaust is $2700 new I'd guess it's valued around $1300-1400 now.

Anyone know what the paint peeling fix costs? I got an estimate for the Duc at "$1500 minimum".

Thanks again. Maybe I need to pass. I can't justify more than $8k considering the paint, and I would need to buy cases anyway, the location (well... it'd be fun to fly-n-ride but...), and there's a Nero on my short list, as well. The dealer's much higher than $8k and "firm."

If I read that correctly, "more than 8k" seems high. KBB has it at $7855, and NADA has the Tenni at $6500 average, and 7k seems closer w/ the exhaust I'd think. There's probably better deals out there. OTOH, they only made 170 of them, and I will say this: I paid $7200 for mine in 2005. And it's still (book value) worth that.

WRT to engine paint, were you aware of that problem being so common for the '02-03' models? You can search this forum for info and fixes. Certainly it's nothing that has any bearing on anything more than appearance, and it can be mitigated to a large degree w/ Harley case paint and a wire brush w/out any dissassembly. For sure, you wouldn't need to buy new cases if that's what you are thinking.

If I read that correctly, "more than 8k" seems high. KBB has it at $7855, and NADA has the Tenni at $6500 average, and 7k seems closer w/ the exhaust I'd think. There's probably better deals out there. OTOH, they only made 170 of them, and I will say this: I paid $7200 for mine in 2005. And it's still (book value) worth that.

The dealer is asking $9500 firm. There's no way I can justify that - it's this simple: if I buy a used bike, I better be able to sell the same bike with the same condition and miles within a reasonable timeframe after I've bought it for the same price. I don't see anyone willing to drop $9.5k on a Lemans regardless of the model variant. If it was NOS at a GOOD dealer who could work through small known issues pre-purchase I would... but not for a 7 year old bike with 4-5k miles and peely paint.

To be fair, No. 137 is listed right now for $9300 IIRC on Craigslist.

WRT to engine paint, were you aware of that problem being so common for the '02-03' models? You can search this forum for info and fixes. Certainly it's nothing that has any bearing on anything more than appearance, and it can be mitigated to a large degree w/ Harley case paint and a wire brush w/out any dissassembly. For sure, you wouldn't need to buy new cases if that's what you are thinking.

I'll do some searching and see what it looks like... but it's moot unless the Tenni deal sweetens. The other Guzzi I'm interested in seems to have a more reasonable owner/seller.

Thanks again!

Agreed. $9500 is way too high, regardless of the model. The special models (Tenni, RM, Nero, etc...) are certainly worth more, but that's rediculous unless, as you said, it were NOS. Even then. Good luck; you'll find something good in time. Besides, if you get a less-than-limited model, you won't have to worry about it so much. ;)

Right on!! :stupid::grin:

Tenni's just have a certain " je ne sais quoi" that the others don't have, things like peeling engine paint are minor. In my eyes they add to the patina of these unique machines. I am biased, but Tenni's are special. They are strange in some aspects, as they can look "really good" at times, and then at other times. they are spectacular.

Cheers

:bier:

Van

Right on!! :stupid::grin:

Tenni's just have a certain " je ne sais quoi" that the others don't have, things like peeling engine paint are minor. In my eyes they add to the patina of these unique machines. I am biased, but Tenni's are special. They are strange in some aspects, as they can look "really good" at times, and then at other times. they are spectacular.

Cheers

:bier:

Van

Van,

been here a bit now...

...You, Sir, are a freak...

...NEROS RULE! :grin::notworthy::mg::wub::drink:

Luv, S.H.

P.S. EEEHWWwwwooo, I think just "pooted" my first post/load on the "Tenni Forum"...is there a emoticon for "shot across the bow"?

I bought mine with the stock exhaust and no black seat for $7500 a couple or three years ago. Of course, it only had 728 miles on it. I don't know if it was "worth it" according to book value, etc. but it was worth every penny and then some to me.

Go with your gut. Ask Greg Field or Todd Haven what the exhaust really cost. Only you know what you are willing to pay.

By the way, Nero's are cool, but anyone can paint a bike black...

By the way, Nero's are cool, but anyone can paint a bike black...

I've heard it said that "the only proper colours for a motorcycle are black & chrome," but I'm right with you on the Tenni; my black LeMans was just a consolation prize because I'd missed out on a smokin' deal on a Tenni the year before... still kicking myself on that one! ;)

Sure wish there was a definite colour match on the Tenni green paint; I imagine lots of owners would prefer to make the dorky "eye spots" (aka "number plates") disappear [those being the only point where Guzzi dropped the ball on the Tenni's styling...]