V11 camshaft specs

chris a

Guest ratchethack

Don't know if all V11's are the same, but the Guzzi Service Manual for a 2000 Sport specs the following:

CAMSHAFT TIMING:

Intake:

Opens 22° before TDC.

Closes 54° after BDC.

Exhaust:

Opens 52° before TDC.

Closes 24° before TDC.

(no lift listed anywhere I could find) :huh2:

Exhaust:

Opens 52° before TDC.

Closes 24° before TDC.

Are you certain you copied that correctly? I suspect that it's more likely

Open 52deg BBDC

Closes 24deg ATDC

for the exhaust.

Talk about overlap! 24deg ATDC; no wonder the v11 doesn't start to perk until after 5k rpm! :nerd: Forgot all the other go fast bits: these things need VVT to recover their bottom end... :luigi:

Ah, heck: who am I kidding? Lugging it is bad for your motor anyway...

:race:

:thumbsup:

Guest ratchethack

YIKES!

That's it, exactly as printed. But you're right, and shame on me for not catching it!! Makes no sense, wotsoever.

It's yet another misprint in the manual. :homer:

My apologies, courtesy Cod. 01 92 01 31 Tech Pubs, MOTO GUZZI S.p.A. Via Parodi, 57 23836 Mandello del Lario :helmet::mg:

Hey

thanks Raz, I didn't remember I ever posted a cam graph on this forum. From the measured lift of 10.5 mm you have to subtract the valve play.

Most important for the timing figures is the valve gap used for the measurement. Guzzi quotes this at 1.5 mm with a duration of 256°. My measurements show 254/253° which is very close.

Better than measuring these figures is adjusting by measuríng the max valve oift of intake and exhaust.

I used guzzitech a lot untill their last meltdown .Now the loading speed there is so long that I rarely visit.

I know what you mean. I used to spend almost as much time there as here until they FUBAR'd the user interface: they were much better when they had the same simple graphic front end as WildGuzzi still retains... more meat, less bling is always my preference!