black plugs, black smoke

silver1100

Hey, what's up Guys.

A week ago I saw an want-ad for a V11 sport that "needs a little TLC".

I went and looked at it and it turned out it was a 2000 model with 7500 miles.

needed brake pedal, brake lever, speedo cable and battery ( and a good scubbing ) ....I scooped it up smile.gif

It's equipped with Ti mufflers and a Carbon fiber accessory kit. ...I think it has a different ECU

It's a pretty cool looking bike.

One of the things the guy said was, it spent a year outdoors, but you'd never know it by looking at it, it just looks a couple years old.....a couple little nicks & scratches.

I'm looking forward to getting it running well

...currently it starts up, doesn't idle, but runs really rich & rough.....no power to speak of either

...it's like practically unridable ....I'm headed out to the garage right now to check the tps settings, but what I suspect is that maybe the fuel injectors are not operating properly ...any input would be greatly appreciated.

Ride safe,

Steve

Guest ratchethack

Nice find, Steve.

Lots of directions to go with this until you get a TPS read. Depending on how it's set up, you should read 450 - 525 mV (at idle throttle position, motor off, key on).

I wouldn't expect injector clogging with the rich symptoms.

Over the years, several, IIRC, have taken the airbox top off to run a "lidless" filter bracket, and were confounded by sudden symptoms that sound just like, "rich & rough.....no power to speak of" until they had the tank off and discovered the adhesive insulation mat from the tank tunnel had fallen down over the air filter, choking it off. :homer:

Good luck. :mg:

So here's what I found.

after disconnecting the linkage rod and backing out the idle adjuster,

I connected the DVM to the 2 outer wires and turned on the key.

the meter read 2250 mv .....what?!?!

checked all the connections .....2250mv (i thought to myself, how am I ever going to get this adjusted down to 150mv)

---

I loosened the tps screws and tried to adjust .....got it down to 1500mv....

"hmm , must be time for a tps" so I took the sensor off and inspected it .

I placed the sensor atop the TB again and rotated it until it went down toward 0.

Seems like it's working now....inserted the screws and tightened it down

....turned the throttle shaft....still working.

loosened the screws and adjusted to 150 mv .... cool

Since I hadn't adjusted the linkage rod, I just clipped it back on and measured the tps ... 520mv

Hmmm...lets see what it runs like ....started it up

Purrs like a kitten @1100 compared to yesterday

I couldn't help taking it for a spin (was 80 degrees here today) ...It runs like a charm! :D

I'm going to order a new tps and then go through the entire procedure when that arrives.

In the meantime, I think I'll ride it to work tomorrow (since it's supposed to be 80 again tomorrow)

as a side note , is that TPS available from another source other than Moto Guzzi sources ?

Example: 3 bar fuel pressure regulator for this bike from Moto Guzzi , $250

3 bar fuel pressure regulator for a 2002 VW GTI turbo $52 (same thing)

Guest ratchethack
as a side note , is that TPS available from another source other than Moto Guzzi sources ?

Example: 3 bar fuel pressure regulator for this bike from Moto Guzzi , $250

3 bar fuel pressure regulator for a 2002 VW GTI turbo $52 (same thing)

Congrat's!

Some have used a Harley TPS, which has a very slightly different output curve and costs about 1/3 of the Marelli TPS, IIRC.

Good job!

And I can't tell you how relieved I am that you pinpointed it before somebody mentioned the.....dare I say it....temp sensor. :thumbsup:

Welcome Steve and congrat's on your new bike! When I read your first post and saw the bike was stored outdoors my first thought was there's a mouse nest in the airbox. It sounds like the TPS was the problem, but you might still want have a peek at that air filter if you haven't done so already.

Step # 1 Replace the spark plugs.

Step #2 If ypu think the injectors need help, www.lindertech.com is the place to go. They will test them and tell you what they need so you won't waste money. Does that sound good?

p.s. Can you use a DVOM ?