Tappets and weird tan gunk

Guest captain nemo

Guest captain nemo

Squidisti,

It was a nice day in Seattle, so I was out riding with Motomonster. Before we took off, we went over my tappets. Like I said before, I'm not in a mood to change anything because I like the way the V11 is running. I was just curious and I wanted to make sure both sides were the same. Here's what we found: intake is set at 15 and exhaust is set at 20. I am running 'bow wow' foam pods from Volkswagon, Mistrals and stock cross over. I got my map from Todd. If anyone is curious I could tell you which map it is, but I think Moto can verify that my Guzz runs strong and smooth.:sun:

HOWEVER, we did find some unusual GUNK lining the valve cover on one side only. It was this gooey, milky tan substance. It was only on the lid and not on the rockers. I wiped it all off with a paper towel and replaced the lid. Does anyone know what this is? Or why it only appeared on one side? :huh:

It is water in the oil that has condensed on that side for some reason.

My guess would be that it is the left side ( the side that is down most often) but I suppose an argument could be made for the "up" side also.

Water in the engine...in Seattle..imagine that!

Mike

Guest Jeff Kelland

Le Man is right. It's water and oil mixed, it's generally caused by condensation and is usually a problem in cool and moist climates.

Guest captain nemo

Yes, I thought so. But is this caused by parking outside? I'm pretty sure he kept the bike in his barn. And I thought that running in the rain wouldn't hurt it - that any moisture would get burned up in the combustion process. Is this caused by simple outside humidity when the bike is parked? Is it a sign (as I suspect) that the bike was parked for long periods of time without running? :wacko:

Don't worry too much,

check the oil stick, if the "milk" is visable on that change the oil

otherwise just keep you service intervals.

I also live in a cold and sometimes rainy climate,

I always changes oil between riding seasons.

The oilsystem is not a closed system so it is normal the get some

moisture into the oil. If it is just a few drop it vaporize when the motor

gets warm and cause the phenomena you describe.

Guest captain nemo

Göran,

Thanks. Hey, I've been meaning to ask. What is up with that fighter pilot helmet? Is it a standard agv feature to have the 'mask?' It even appears to be camouflaged in case you have to bail out in the jungle. :blink:

Guest Jeff Kelland

The problem occurs when the engine cools off after riding. As the air inside the engine cools it contracts drawing in humid air containing moisture which then condenses on the cooling inside surfaces. In order for the oil to rid itself of the moisture it must run over 212f. In cool wheather or when taking short rides the oil never gets hot enough. If allowed to sit in the engine long enough it can cause rust and corrosion. In New England where we have to put them away it's best to have heated strorage, if that's not available, we run them until they're hot, change the oil and put them away. Don't start it every so often, that will cause more harm than good. My 900 Ducati had an engine oil level sight glass, In the spring and fall it was hard to check the oil because the emulsified oil and water covered the inside of the glass :blink:

Hey Cap'n,

Jeff is politely saying that you drive too slow, cruising past the harley bars tryin' to impress the ladies. Now, get out there and wring it! :bike:

(just funnin' ya).

Cheers,

Jason

Just use a good quality synthetic oil, they handle extreme situations better. Also, just change it more in the colder weather, don't skimp!

:homer::homer::homer: Did I just start an oil thread???? :whistle: