00' V11 Sport - new injectors required?

toguzziv11

00' V11 Sport was cutting out after a short idle (bike has been sitting for over 18 months). I had it picked up by my local Guzzi dealer who informs me that I need new fuel injectors. The bike has less than 4,000 miles and as such I find that having to replace the injectors seems a bit of a stretch. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks....

00' V11 Sport was cutting out after a short idle (bike has been sitting for over 18 months). I had it picked up by my local Guzzi dealer who informs me that I need new fuel injectors. The bike has less than 4,000 miles and as such I find that having to replace the injectors seems a bit of a stretch. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks....

Hi - I am not sure if it is the same thing but I recently had a situation where my bike would cut out and stall when I came to stop at a traffic light. Not all the time but every 5-6 stops. I added a product called SeaFoam to the gas "in case" it might be clogged injectors. My bike has fewer than 6K miles so must have sat most of its life too. Anyway, my stalling has gone away. In addition to the SeaFoam, I have changed my driving habits a bit. I use to run between 3,500-4,500 rpms and shift between 4,000 and 4,500. I now run > 4,000 rpms and shift closer to 6,000 rpms. A few folks suggested I was babying her a bit too much!

Best of Luck,

Bob

I seriously doubt it needs new injectors. At most they might need to be cleaned. If you don't do your own wrenching I'd suggest that you take it to another shop for a second opinion.

If you don't mind doing some work yourself the members here can probably help you troubleshoot your bike. Is stalling after idling for a minute or so your only symptom, or does it act up or die when riding?

Guest ratchethack

Though not completely out of the realm of possibilities, needing new injectors at this point is a bit of a stretch, alright. . . very low prob., and might be an all-time V11 FIRST at such low mileage. . .<_<

Most of the "short frame" V11 Sports I've ever had any contact with (including my own) have been known to drop out at idle, especially during early break-in miles, especially (Part II) before reaching operating temp, and (far more rarely) when experiencing low RPM head temp sensor heat-soak hot lean-burn feedback loop symptoms in hot weather after fully warmed up and/or hard riding. Depending on how you want to define completion of break-in, you've got somewhere between a l-o-n-g way to go and a l-o-n-g-e-r way to go. My motor was still loosening up and gradually gaining idle RPM "on its own" until it stabilized at its final mature, smooth running self somewhere around 20K mi.

While still breaking in, possible causes/remedies (all of which helped my Guzzi WRT drop-out at idle) include:

*Idle is set too low/raise it to 1200 RPM.

*Not allowed to warm up long enough/use idle advance lever until warm.

*Needs valve adjustment/set to World Spec at minimum (.004" and .006"), but you can go higher, I go .006" and .008" for hot weather running, Pete Roper likes .005" and .007", Raceco spec is .008" and .010".

*Needs TB balance/git 'r done.

Have a nice break-in, and though it's likely far too late now (depending on the bike's break-in history, if known), you might do a search on the MOTOMAN engine break-in technique. :thumbsup:

sounds like bunk to me, they must be hard up for work.. have you ever had the throttle bodies balanced? on the Tonti bikes the sidestand switch is known to cut out the motor over bumps, do the V11's have the same SS switch delicacy?

that seafoam is pretty magic stuff, I would start there, was your gas old? your bike needs a good thrashing and it will probably respond!

that seafoam is pretty magic stuff

Yep. They came up w/ a spiffy name & can sell Berryman's B12 for $1 more a can... ;)

Whatever you want to call it, it does a good job of cleaning out the old passages...

how universal are injectors? What I am wondering is if there is another injector that operates under similar fuel pressure, voltage, etc. that could be substituted that would do a better job. I know Honda uses an injector with 12 holes in it for better atomization of fuel, a developement from their F1 engines of the 90's. Could we get better running engines with a simple change like the injector?

All electrically triggered fuel injectors are similar. They are not all compatible. If you need something done send them to www.lindertech.com and they will flow-rate them, clean and match them up if with a good set if yours are bad. Also they will call you back and tell you if they are in need of repairs before doing anything so you will know if the injectors are at fault.