Cusherctomy

fly4hire

Going carefully through my new 00' (7K) V11 and reading the threads here on mods and tech issues, I decided to check the condition of the rear spline and attempt to get at the cush drive. Based on what I read here I was prepared for a half day project and mechanical battle.

Well, the spline and axle had been carefully greased, and only required cleaning and a bit of additional lubrication, but to my surprise, the flange plate for the cush drive came off easily, and the rubber cushions were soft and pliable! I did perform the recommended drilling, but since they were fairly compliant to begin with, only drilled one 10mm hole per puck. Everything went easily back together, with a little anti-seize on the flange bolts for good measure.

She'll be out for a spin later this morning and we'll see if it makes a difference, and if nothing else I know that bit is properly cared for. I've only been on here for a few day, and this venue is already invaluable :luigi:

Guest ratchethack
. . .Based on what I read here I was prepared for a half day project and mechanical battle.

. . .

She'll be out for a spin later this morning and we'll see if it makes a difference, and if nothing else I know that bit is properly cared for. I've only been on here for a few day, and this venue is already invaluable :luigi:

Congrat's, F4H, and well done. I b'lieve you've just been introduced to the infamous Forum Fright Factor, :o by which many a Newb has been scared into service paralysis -- or worse, sale of his Guzzi -- by reading the few (relatively very few) "worst case" scenarios of grief and woe that invariably get posted, and somehow get interpreted by the uninitiated as "the norm". It's not just here. Pick any online Forum, and this phenom is alive and well.

Have fun breaking it in. IMHO you've selected a fine road machine to own and ride for the long haul (the personal philosophy of Yours Truly), the likes of which are to be found not only seldom today, but less and less in years to come -- when only progressively sillier 2-wheeled "Green Enviro-appliances" will be approved for manufacture and sale <_< . . . Don't get me started. . . :whistle:

Have fun breaking it in, and don't spare either the throttle or the upper range of the tach. :thumbsup:

Congrat's, F4H, and well done. I b'lieve you've just been introduced to the infamous Forum Fright Factor, :o by which many a Newb has been scared into service paralysis -- or worse, sale of his Guzzi -- by reading the few (relatively very few) "worst case" scenarios of grief and woe that invariably get posted, and somehow get interpreted by the uninitiated as "the norm". It's not just here. Pick any online Forum, and this phenom is alive and well.

Have fun breaking it in. IMHO you've selected a fine road machine to own and ride for the long haul (the personal philosophy of Yours Truly), the likes of which are to be found not only seldom today, but less and less in years to come -- when only progressively silly 2-wheeled "Green Enviro-appliances" will be approved for manufacture. . . Don't get me started. . . :P;)

Have fun breaking it in, and don't spare either the throttle or the upper range of the tach. :thumbsup:

Hear you about throttle - the last owner babied it way too much. Need to clear the carbon out :) This is a second bike for me, a FJR1300 being primary for long hauling. Efficient, fast, comfortable, and a little lacking in soul. I had a Guzzi a few years back and regretted selling it. I enjoy wrenching as a pass time in and of itself, and unlike all but the best dealers, I know I will take the time and care to make sure it is done right. Of course given the dealer network of Guzzi I'll get to indulge myself freely out of necessity.

Regarding the concept of motorcycle soul, I think Italian bikes ooze it, and MG in particular. I convinced my wife I was not buying another bike, I was adopting an orphaned one in need of a good home. Several yeas ago I read an article (don't have the bookmark) about the nature of Guzzi's vs. Ducati and other makes, and they described the Guzzi factory as something to the effect of "where they've been making the same brand for over 70 years, with many of the same craftsman, who smoke while they work, get in arguments, and occasionally throw things at each other" Some may consider that a bad thing - I consider it a plus B)