shifter woes

richard100t

I took the trans cover off because my bike wasnt shifting right. I thought it was the pawl spring but they all look good. I found this piece lying against the drain plug though & I cant figure what it is or where it came from. Any ideas out there?

shifter_002.JPG

Hard to say. The pieces on the left look like little gear teeth, the piece on the rght looks like general swarf.

Sorry...

WTF is general swarf?

Guest ratchethack

Richard, without a tighter shot on the schrapnel and a proper sense of scale, it's hard to tell.

There's a small, thin, hardened steel washer that resides at the bottom end of the speedo cable (or worm gear drive, if this is your setup, either one) that can all too easily fall into the gearbox when the cable is pulled out or put back in, that has been known to wreak various kinds of havoc. Looks like this could be the very critter.

If so, consider yourself lucky. If everything works well and looks OK, in all probability, you've fallen in clover here, and all the havoc (if any) has likely already been wreaked, and you'll never know the difference. :P

Richard, without a tighter shot on the schrapnel and a proper sense of scale, it's hard to tell.

There's a small, thin, hardened steel washer that resides at the bottom end of the speedo cable (or worm gear drive, if this is your setup, either one) that can all too easily fall into the gearbox when the cable is pulled out or put back in, that has been known to wreak various kinds of havoc. Looks like this could be the very critter.

If so, consider yourself lucky. If everything works well and looks OK, in all probability, you've fallen in clover here, and all the havoc (if any) has likely already been wreaked, and you'll never know the difference. :P

Well its slightly smaller than a dime. I did check the worm gear & it looks fine but I think you're onto what it probably is. I've had the shifting assy apart & cleaned up. Once I put it back together it all seemed to work fine.

I replaced that speedo thing about two seasons ago & never gave it another thought until today.

Of course now I still have to get the linkage adjusted back to where it will work smoothly, which is a major pita.

Its hard to believe that thing could be in my gearbox for that long without any problems.

Guest ratchethack
Well its slightly smaller than a dime.

This fits my recollection of the size of the washer on my '00 Sport under the worm gear drive, the exact same one I found on a '04 LM with the "angled cable housing" and no worm gear drive.

Its hard to believe that thing could be in my gearbox for that long without any problems.

Thankfully, the Luigi's spec'd a magnetic drain plug so the probabilities of serious trauma were minimized in the event of exactly this scenario. :helmet:

All is well that ends well. The bike is all sorted out now & shifting as well as ever. I discovered a good way to adjust the linkage too.

First put the bike in 6th gear, assuming you have the starter off & the shock remote off too. Then only remove the front linkage nut & bolt turn it out & put the bolt back in & pull up on the gear lever until the rear eye bolt hits the frame when its in the upshift position. Now you know you are at the widest you can go. Then you simply turn it in once or twice & go for a ride. If its still to big for your feet keep pulling the starter off & turning the front eyebolt in a turn or two until it fits your foot.

All is well that ends well. The bike is all sorted out now & shifting as well as ever. I discovered a good way to adjust the linkage too.

First put the bike in 6th gear, assuming you have the starter off & the shock remote off too. Then only remove the front linkage nut & bolt turn it out & put the bolt back in & pull up on the gear lever until the rear eye bolt hits the frame when its in the upshift position. Now you know you are at the widest you can go. Then you simply turn it in once or twice & go for a ride. If its still to big for your feet keep pulling the starter off & turning the front eyebolt in a turn or two until it fits your foot.

Does this procedure adjust the throw (length) ?

Does this procedure adjust the throw (length) ?

Its kind of hard to explain just what it does. I can tell you that if you have large feet you'll want the ajustment to be farther out. If you have smaller feet you'll want to dial it in a few turns.