Mirror vibes

guzzipete

Is that the Highway Patrol behind me, or just a regular family sedan?

Whilst perusing the net in search of an answer to this age old question, I came across a suggestion that drilling a small hole in the base of each mirror, and filling the back with fine grade shot (and obviously sealing up the hole afterwards) apparently gives you a vibe free rear view.

Just wondering if anyone here had tried this, and if so, did it actually work?

Cheers.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ratchethack
. . .drilling a small hole in the base of each mirror, and filling the back with fine grade shot (and obviously sealing up the hole afterwards) apparently gives you a vibe free rear view.

I'm as curious as you are if anyone here has tried it.

I haven't, but I've considered it. Makes perfect sense to me. Same principle as bar-end weights taming vibrations at the grips. Adding 14 oz. Throttlemeister heavy bar-end weights didn't have any negative effects on the balance of my Sport (or other motos), and I reckon another 14 oz. or more in the mirrors wouldn't either, regardless of being 9-10 inches higher. Seems to me hands and forearms put lots more mass in direct connection with the front end than this, some Big Boys considerably more than others -- not to mention fork mounted "barn door" fairings and windshields on some bikes -- apparently without adverse effects. :huh2:

Another thing I've thought about to quell mirror fuzz is connecting the outboard end of each mirror to the bar ends by means of small struts, or even high-test fishing line. If it didn't present potential interference by fouling on gloves and a potential safety problem, I'd probably have tried this one by now.

Well I drilled out the mirror & filled it with shot. I can tell you that it will hold several POUNDS of lead shot. what I did was put some lead shot in there & packed it in with fiberglass insulation to dampen the shot from moving around. I'll take it for a ride & see how much difference there is between the shot filled mirror vs a regular mirror.

Ok now that I've test ridden it I can tell you that it does indeed reduce the fuzzy look at highway speeds. However I could see the size 6 lead shot working its way around my mirror! :o I'm going to say (for now) that you shouldnt use lead shot & that you could probably get the same effect with just stuffing the insulation in there.

I'm going to do the other mirror with just insulation & see how that looks on the highway.

Now I've compared a mirror with lead shot plus insulation to a mirror stuffed with just insulation.

The mirror with the lead shot plus insulation was very much more clear at freeway speeds than with just insulation.

You will pay the weight penalty for a more clear view, but if you arent using your bike as a racetrack tool then you should be just fine.

I'm thinking that about a pound or so of shot & then stuff it in there with the insulation is the way to go.

Guest ratchethack
. . .I could see the size 6 lead shot working its way around my mirror! :o

Richard, is the lead shot in direct contact with the reflective coating on the back of the mirrors? If so, I'd expect vibration of the shot to wear the backing down to clear glass in pretty short order. :(

Richard, is the lead shot in direct contact with the reflective coating on the back of the mirrors? If so, I'd expect vibration of the shot to wear the backing down to clear glass in pretty short order. :(

Oh well I'll just have to fishhook the insulation out & remove the lead shot.

Richard, is the lead shot in direct contact with the reflective coating on the back of the mirrors...

What about syringing in some sort of resin or epoxy first to coat the rear of the mirror?

Perhaps the shot could be put in whilst it's still tacky, cementing it in place...

First rule of Driving Italian machinery. Who cares what's behind you! Seriously, has anyone ever been satisfied with the image in a bike mirror. Good luck with the stabilization, I am still trying to adapt a pair of seagull eyes to my hat. Cheers

Guest ratchethack
What about syringing in some sort of resin or epoxy first to coat the rear of the mirror?

Where'd Dave go?

This'd be the PERFECT place for his infamous 2-part urethane cocktail -- with a lead shot garnish mixed in. . .

But o' course, then we'd very quickly be off on an extra-terrestrial launch into titanium pressurized nitrogen gas MIRROR SHOCKS with high and low speed compression and rebound damping with ceramic, carbon fiber, and kevlar shock valving. . . :lol:

Uh-oh. . . I really REALLY hope this doesn't set him off. No, Dave. Please. I'm begging you. . . :rolleyes: