Mirror vibes

guzzipete

Hm. This^ takes what, say 3-4 seconds to get a clear view? This may be adequate for most casual situations.

But at 80 mph, a car, truck, or another moto overtaking from behind at 100 MPH (happens all day long every day on the local freeways here) is closing at a rate of 30 ft./second. If it takes 3 seconds to pull in the clutch, unwind the throttle and drop the RPMs to get a clear view, that car, truck, or moto will have got 90 feet closer. If it took 4 seconds to get a clear view, it will have got 120 feet closer. If said overtaking vehicle happened to be in any part of your blind spot prior to that 3-4 second window, in a farther lane over, or obstructed from view behind another vehicle, for example -- you may well have missed him. If you then suddenly pull in front of him to make a lane change with your clutch in and RPMs down somewhere around idle, I reckon it could get more'n a little dicey. . . :o

No, thanks. I'll keep the throttle on, take the clearest mirror view possible, and THEN double check the margins of my blind spot with a quick head turn to look every time before making a lane change.

But o' course, that's just me. . . :huh2:

I'm not going to take the time to read a Hypothetical story question... Way more than 3-4 seconds.... :P

My answer.... I never get overtaken.... LOL ;)

I never said I wouldn't look under or over my shoulder.... Riding safely is about technique... Using only a mirror for information isn't the safest way to get around.. My answer was mostly sarcasm though....

Otherwise if there is that much traffic around me, I stay familiar with my surroundings continuously.. I use more than my mirrors to know my whereabouts and every other obstacle....

I have napoleon bar end mirrors..... I have good visibilty with them at any speed. With the exception of a harmonic vibration about 6400 RPM.. Instead of the rubber inserts they provided, I used a Urethane suspension Bushing. They hold tighter and visibility isn't an issue... Now the Paul Smart Ducati on the other hand.. The fairing mounted mirrors look very fuzzy at cruising speeds...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Rizoma bar end mirror http://www.rizoma.com/Prodotti/ProdottiUni...?ID_categoria=1 go to bottom of page, the REVERSE RETRO".

Works quite good no matter the riding position. Although still buzzy at certain RPMs.

I'm wondering if maybe putting lead shot into the clip-ons may help. Has anyone tried this?

Raceboy

I think someone here used a heat gun to soften the plastic so the mirror could be removed ?

Maybe extra weight could then be added to the casing, mirror itself or both in a more controlled way?

To cure the vibes, swap the Guzzi mirror for the look alike Buell mirror that have longer stalks. That not only cures the vibration but also allows you to see something other that your shoulders. It may sound counter intuitive that longer stalks cure the vibration, but it works like a charm. Plus the Buell mirrors are much less expensive, but are the exact same mirror, save the slightly longer stalk.

To cure the vibes, swap the Guzzi mirror for the look alike Buell mirror that have longer stalks. That not only cures the vibration but also allows you to see something other that your shoulders. It may sound counter intuitive that longer stalks cure the vibration, but it works like a charm. Plus the Buell mirrors are much less expensive, but are the exact same mirror, save the slightly longer stalk.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH you guys have problems with the lemans mirrors DUH, my sport mirrors are great, lol

just convert it to a sport!! :lol:

I did this. Something to keep in mind, the Buell stalk is bent, so it gives your Guzzi the "droopy antennae" look in comparison w/ the original mirrors once you make the switch. Not necessarily bad, just a change you may not care for but have to accept for the chance to spend less time inspecting your elbows at speed... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I lost the glass out of my righthand mirror on the motorway, think it just vibrated loose :o it was no geat loss as couldn't make out what or how many were behind anyway. I "borrowed" a mirror off a k75 until i could get a replacement and in fact it was so much better i ended up buying a pair to replace the guzzi ones. Have had them about 2 years now and while i would'nt say they are completely vibe free at all rpms its a great improvment on the stock ones and they have much better adjustment so your not looking at the sky, they don't look to out of place on the guzzi and they were fairly cheap at £15 a pair :D

I "borrowed" a mirror off a k75 ... and they were fairly cheap at £15 a pair :D

I find it hard to believe anything w/ the BMW roundel on it is cheap, pricewise. Sounds like you did well! :thumbsup:

Any pics?