My 1st Guzzi ever

Vinicio

Hi All,

Found this forum via Wildgoose Chase. I joined that forum back in December 2008 because I was considering a Breva 1100 or a Griso, but I just really lurked and researched back then. I ended up not getting a Guzzi then. Now, however, through a series of unfortunate and fortunate circumstances I find myself a very happy and proud owner of a 2004 V11 Ballabio :D ! My first Guzzi ever. I picked it up on Friday, and I've been too busy riding it to take a lot of pictures. So here's one that's not so good for the time being. The bike had slightly over 2,000 miles and had been sitting around for a while. Before I got it, however, the bike got a complete make over by a local Guzzi dealer. It was actually a friend of mine that works there that told me about this bike. It feels like it's quite a find. People that have seen it think it's new. They're always surprised when I tell them it's a 2004 model. Needless to say, I'm in love with this bike :D .

The only issue I've had so far is a strange, intermittent starting problem. I press the starter button and nothing happens. It eventually starts, but it seems to do it only after I sit on the bike and turn the bars straight. It seems that this is not uncommon on V11s. I've already learned something - thanks! It's not a big problem now, but hopefully I can resolve it now rather than later.

I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. I'll probably be hanging around here more frequently now. Looking forward to learn from you all, and perhaps eventually contribute myself.

my_guzzi.jpg

Ciao, Vinicio, and welcome to this strange world of V11 mad men and women :-)

You have already encountered some of the Italian 'charms' but that's just Guzzi (and Luigi not to forget!) in a nutshell!

Enjoy your beautyful bike and keep the sticky side of the tyres to the surface, please!

BR

Søren

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ratchethack
The only issue I've had so far is a strange, intermittent starting problem. I press the starter button and nothing happens. It eventually starts, but it seems to do it only after I sit on the bike and turn the bars straight. It seems that this is not uncommon on V11s.

Welcome, Vinicio.

In case you haven't found it yet (many posts on the subject) there's an infamously dodgy pair of bullet connectors on a pair of wires leading from the clutch switch, that are located under the left-front of the tank, zip-tied up against the spine frame. They historically make and break continuity at random, and respond to moving the bars from lock to lock, or simply wiggling the wires, whilst trying to start. This tends to work until it doesn't, at which time it's well past time for the "fix", which in my case has been a permanent success on each of 2 V11's I've done it on:

Cycle the connectors a few times to brighten up the contacts, fill with dielectric grease, re-connect and LIGHTLY crimp. Done.

I envy you for being within easy striking distance of the Muir Headlands, Point Reyes, Stinson Beach, and my all-time favorite restaurant on the planet, The Pelican Inn. :wub: This would undoubtedly be a "regular ride" if I lived in The City (as I once did many years ago). Not to mention proximity to Big Sur, the entire coast up to Cape Mendocino and down to San Luis Obispo Bay (and inland for that matter), and leave us by no means forget Napa Valley, Yosemite, and Lake Tahoe -- it goes on and on, as I'm sure you're well familiar -- have a good Summer, my friend. :bike:

Guest ratchethack
I'll probably be hanging around here more frequently now. . .

?? :huh2: ??

Well, if you headed for Tahoe after your opening post, I sure hope you got your intermittent start sorted first. . . :huh2: