YSS Suspension.....

raceboy

I just came across YSS suspension in NJ and spoke to a tech there who came gave me a brief rundown of their product(s).

Same features as Ohlins & Penske but about $250.00 cheaper. The main difference is they use a 50 mm Steel body where as Ohlins & Penske use a 46 mm Aluminum body.

Anyone familiar with YSS; thoughts, comments, critique, etc.

Cheers all,

Raceboy

I just came across YSS suspension in NJ and spoke to a tech there who came gave me a brief rundown of their product(s).

Same features as Ohlins & Penske but about $250.00 cheaper. The main difference is they use a 50 mm Steel body where as Ohlins & Penske use a 46 mm Aluminum body.

Anyone familiar with YSS; thoughts, comments, critique, etc.

Cheers all,

Raceboy

Guzzitech has sold a few of the YSS dual shocks for Tonti framed Guzzis and the word is that people have been very happy with them.

Here is a link to what might someday be a review of the Mono shock:

http://forum.guzzitech.com/index.php?optio...43&catid=43

FWIW, I went with the Penske over the Wilbers, or HyperPro, because the shorter Penske body allowed for more travel within the range of swing arm movement and ideal ride height.

And I chose the Penske over the Ohlins because of the alleged tendency for Ohlins seals to leak. (My Ohlins fork seals are doing great!)

Also, Penske appears to be Number 1 for service and parts availability.

I also pursued White Power Shocks and Elka, but both were dead ends. I don't think the YSS were available when I bought the Penske.

If maximized rear wheel travel is not important to you and a slightly higher than stock ride height is good for you, I'll bet the YSS are a great deal!

Sorry, I just noticed that Guzzitech link is regarding Breva/Norge, so the results could vary from a V11 spine.

Also, Todd's review could be construed as biased, but he is a straight forward honest guy, and he chooses products to sell primarily because of the product's quality.

If you're after emulators, the racetech ones are still the best. The YSS ones are copies. However the shocks and spring units are on par with the hagon's and the others in that price bracket.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in NJ - about an hour from EPM Performance and have been working with its owner, Kalus Huenecke, to develop a YSS shock to my 2003 V11 LM. I had originally ordered a HyperPro but after nearly a year of waiting for the factory to get a shock made I gave up and asked Klaus for options. Klaus suggested the YSS is of equal quality to the HyperPro but without the brand recognition. He made me an attractive offer to use my bike as the test mule he could build a shock for and I am hoping it will be completed in the next couple weeks. I specified remote reservoir (in the OEM location) but with both hi and lo speed compression adjustment as well as remote preload adjuster. The shock he is building is the X-506 series but I'm not sure if mine will be billet or steel body. I have already installed the Hyperpro progressive springs in the forks so we will probably be using a progressive spring on the shock as well. Stay tuned - I am looking forward to reporting on the finished results in this forum (that has been a great source of support for me!).

I live in NJ - about an hour from EPM Performance and have been working with its owner, Kalus Huenecke, to develop a YSS shock to my 2003 V11 LM. I had originally ordered a HyperPro but after nearly a year of waiting for the factory to get a shock made I gave up and asked Klaus for options. Klaus suggested the YSS is of equal quality to the HyperPro but without the brand recognition. He made me an attractive offer to use my bike as the test mule he could build a shock for and I am hoping it will be completed in the next couple weeks. I specified remote reservoir (in the OEM location) but with both hi and lo speed compression adjustment as well as remote preload adjuster. The shock he is building is the X-506 series but I'm not sure if mine will be billet or steel body. I have already installed the Hyperpro progressive springs in the forks so we will probably be using a progressive spring on the shock as well. Stay tuned - I am looking forward to reporting on the finished results in this forum (that has been a great source of support for me!).

When I called and spoke with Klaus he did mention he had a V11 in his shop at that time, so it seems it was your bike he was using as test mule. He did say to me that his shock (X506 series) is with Steel body and that is what keeps the price down compared to Penske or Ohlins.

I need a shock and was about to order a Penske until I spoke to Klaus, so I'll wait and see what the results are with your shock & YSS.

I'm curious; did you spec your shock to the dimensions of the Ohlins or the Sach/Boge shock? I don't think there should be a problem changing the dimensions of the shock since long frame V11's came with both options. I have the Sachs shock, but would like have my new shock to the dimensions of the Ohlins (longer eye to eye length and stroke length).

Raceboy