Wiring woes...

Greybeard

Purchased the official "Eraldo Ferracci Signature License Plate Relocation Kit" featuring the "Fire of Vesuvius" LED tail light, bolted eveything up OK and then I plugged it in.

(Had to change the connectors but what the hell)

Nothing. Nada. Zip.

Switch wires around.

Zilch. :huh:

Get out the test light.

Juice coming out the proper wires at the proper time for the proper function. <_>

WTF?

Before I call Ferracci and raise hell, is there any secret to getting LED tail lights to work?

I remember having an issue with an LED kit as well, but it was so long ago I don't remember what I did to fix it. Since you know you have juice going to it, I'd start by making sure the ground point you've chosen is actually a ground vice isolated somehow. Something else you might try is taking the lighting wires directly to the battery +/- to make sure you do not have a bad group of LEDs. Keep smiling. k

LED's require a very specific (and very low) voltage to operate. They are also one-way (i.e. don't plug the hot into the ground). If you apply too high a voltage, they can easily be burnt out.

I would call up Ferraci and make sure a proper resistor has already been wired in series in the unit. Only after confirming that would I try to hook up the fires of vesuvius directly to battery power. Although a small, even 0.5 amp, charger would be easier to hook up as a test. :huh2:

Electrical is my weak subject, but I had no issues with the unit working when I installed mine.

Once you get yours working, you may find issues with people not seeing the light. Unfortunately, the light unit, made by Schumacher in Germany, has it's LED's set in a parallel pattern making the light emitted very 'directional, as in, if you set to one side a few degrees from directly back, you cannot see the light. If they had set the LED's in a spread pattern it would have been no problem. I personally had more than one close call of fellow riders and a car or two not seeing the application of my brake. I took the kit off, it's sitting on my shelf. I'd consider putting the kit back on, but the actual light unit would have to be replaced with a better one that spreads the light in a wide pattern view. Even a non LED unit would work, can't seem to find one though that would fit.

Steve

Electrical is my weak subject, but I had no issues with the unit working when I installed mine.

Once you get yours working, you may find issues with people not seeing the light.

Steve

I agree with you, Steve.

Not at ALL impressed with the amount of light or the positioning.

Major problem here is I ride only during the day and that light will never get noticed .

Maybe add another LED array?

I agree with you, Steve.

Not at ALL impressed with the amount of light or the positioning.

Major problem here is I ride only during the day and that light will never get noticed .

Maybe add another LED array?

I'm considering putting on a non LED light to the kit.

Steve

PHWOARRRRR..........STEVE!!..........

I just noticed you own an RC-30 :thumbsup:

You dog you.

Our local dealer brought one in just when I bought a '89 600.

Spent more time drooling over that than I did riding mine.

It sat. And sat.And sat.

-3- miles on it.

Finally they sold it to some guy in the midwest....and I was bummmmmmed.

That was '89 I'm just losing the pout now.

I would have maimed for that machine.