Ohlins Suspension Travel

tmcafe

Anybody knows what the "official" numbers are for front and rear suspension travel on bikes with Ohlins (Cafe, Coppa, etc)?

Sorry if this info has been posted here but I couldn't find it.

TIA

In the meantime I've found some numbers: 120 mm front, 128 mm

rear. Anybody can confirm?

I googled and found 128 mm stated for the rear for both Ohlins and Sachs equipped bikes, but I know that they should not be the same. The Ohlins bikes have about 2 cm more rear travel (~1cm more stroke at shock)

My shop and owner's manual showed nothing.

The sales brochure for my 2000 V11S shows a White Power shock with 64mm stroke (which is about 128mm travel)

But the shock is a Sachs, not a White Power, and I did a rough measurement on the Sachs and got 60mm.

The V1100Sporti was equipped with White Power and its manual diagrams the WP shock as have 64 mm stroke.

The Ohlins after market shock is 70mm stroke.(which should provide about 140mm travel (bumper fully compressed)) I am pretty sure the aftermarket and OEM shock are the same, but the same is not true of aftermarket and OEM forks.

I googled and found 128 mm stated for the rear for both Ohlins and Sachs equipped bikes, but I know that they should not be the same. The Ohlins bikes have about 2 cm more rear travel (~1cm more stroke at shock)

The sales brochure for my 2000 V11S shows a White Power shock with 64mm stroke (which is about 128mm travel)

But the shock is a Sachs, not a White Power, and I did a rough measurement on the Sachs and got 60mm.

The V1100Sporti was equipped with White Power and its manual diagrams the WP shock as have 64 mm stroke.

The Ohlins after market shock is 70mm stroke.(which should provide about 140mm travel (bumper fully compressed)) I am pretty sure the aftermarket and OEM shock are the same, but the same is not true of aftermarket and OEM forks.

Thanks! Looks like the "official" number is another example of "accurate" info from Luigi. The fork is listed by Ohlins with an actual 120 mm. Would be interesting to find a figure for the rear susp. travel. For now I'll use your estimate.

Without a part number from the actual shock (i should have recorded it when i took off and replaced the shock, last year, duh) I asked the Ohlins rep whats the shock stroke for MG 1260 and 127 (found both part nos in a thread here, the latter cant be as it is the one with remote). He said its same for both, 70 mm, but thats metal to metal (plastic bumper is 19 mm). Did you actually notice or better yet measure more rear wheel travel with the Ohlins vs Sachs?

Did you actually notice or better yet measure more rear wheel travel with the Ohlins vs Sachs?

No, I have the Ohlins Fork and Penske shock, but I have seen a few Ohlins shock equipped Guzzis parked next to Sachs equipped and have always seen the Ohlins ones sitting higher, of course one could set sag to have the reverse result, but I have seen no such thing, also, ignoring the alleged specs the bottoming out point could vary between the two shocks.

I have no reason to doubt the Ohlins shock numbers Beisel posted, which I may have posted long ago(with some error of measurement) but I think the Sachs numbers could be off by as much as 2mm.

Öhlins

286/70

---------------

Sachs

278/60

No, I have the Ohlins Fork and Penske shock, but I have seen a few Ohlins shock equipped Guzzis parked next to Sachs equipped and have always seen the Ohlins ones sitting higher, of course one could set sag to have the reverse result, but I have seen no such thing, also, ignoring the alleged specs the bottoming out point could vary between the two shocks.

I have no reason to doubt the Ohlins shock numbers Beisel posted, which I may have posted long ago(with some error of measurement) but I think the Sachs numbers could be off by as much as 2mm.

Öhlins

286/70

---------------

Sachs

278/60

Likely stupid q but trying to understand: if two shocks differ in length but have the same stroke (in theory at least) the rear wheel travel will be the same, but the longer shock will result in a taller ride height? Also coversely if two shocks are of equal length but differ in stroke, rear will bottom at same height but one shock will cause more travel (and a taller ride height) ?

• 2 weeks later...
Likely stupid q but trying to understand: if two shocks differ in length but have the same stroke (in theory at least) the rear wheel travel will be the same, but the longer shock will result in a taller ride height? Also coversely if two shocks are of equal length but differ in stroke, rear will bottom at same height but one shock will cause more travel (and a taller ride height) ?

if two shocks differ in length but have the same stroke (in theory at least) the rear wheel travel will be the same, but the longer shock will result in a taller ride height, assuming sag is the same.

If two shocks are of equal length but differ in stroke, rear will NOT bottom at same height, the longer stroke will bottom at a lower ride height. And the one shock with longer stroke will allow more travel, of course, (but not a taller ride height, although ride height can be set (with consequences) by setting pre-load and spring weight to desired ride height)

Because the Ohlins has a short body and long stroke, the Ohlins shock has better potential than any other shock to set the ride height maximum high or maximum low, using sag than any other shock on the market. The Penske is the only other shock that comes close.

Finding an Ohlins that fits could be difficult, but a Penske should be easy to find.

Keep in mind that the swing arm and shaft limit travel, so I would not dare venture out of the range of wheel motion allowed by the OEM Ohlins.