Ohlins Steering damper

macguzzi

I have just removed this from my bike to see what the handling is like without it what an improvement, but this is due to the damper being very very stiff due to knackered seals, sound familiar. I reckon this has been the problem all along thoughts and comments welcome.

My wifes red framed V11 (supposedly the more unstable version) works much better without a steering damper. It has never shaken its head or otherwise indicated that it needs a steering damper. And that does not suprise me because it has pretty mild geometry. The damper is more for show. It does slow the steering down and make the bike feel more stable and if that is something that appeals to you then by all means run a steering damper. If not, pull it and stick it in the top of the tool chest where it can do no harm. I have heard of more people figuring out that their steering damper was the cause of their bikes handling woes then I have heard of people crashing due to head shake.

Just wait, though. Someone will probably post something saying how important a component the steering damper is and how you're crazy to run without it.

Think for yourself.