Cush Drive Maintenance Update

Greg Field

I'm fairly new to Guzzis so am still trying to find my way around,i have this weird sound that seems to be coming from the rear of the bike at low speeds,coming to intersections,parking lots,and so forth.

Can't seem to nail it down,it's not constant but very noticeable when it appears,does'nt seem to efect the running of the bike at highway speeds.

It's probably the rear brake dragging. See if the rear caliper or disk are very warm or hot after a ride. Be careful, the disk can burn you if the brake is dragging. The fix is to pull the caliper and pads and give the caliper a good cleaning. You can do it without removing it from the brake line. Might as well bleed the rear brake while you're at it. :luigi:

Hi Stu, give the shaft a good rattle & see how much movement you get with the bevel unit. There is a little needle bearing and race that are prone to fail (due to lack of lube) in the "nose" of the unit (where the bevel housing meets the swingarm the spindle (axle) passing through it. That is another source of odd sounds from the rear. Good news is (if that is the issue) the bearing is removed from the unit externally. Local Guzzi shop (Chilliwack) carries them or BC Bearing can get it for you. Hope ya find yer noisy scource!

I'm fairly new to Guzzis so am still trying to find my way around,i have this weird sound that seems to be coming from the rear of the bike at low speeds,coming to intersections,parking lots,and so forth.

Can't seem to nail it down,it's not constant but very noticeable when it appears,does'nt seem to efect the running of the bike at highway speeds.

I replaced the two rear wheel bearings last year on a ride,was warned about there frail'ty and it came to pass not two months after i purchased the bike.

So what i want to know is could this sound i'm hearing have anything to do with the cush drive,it looks like there's another bearing in there is this correct?

If the sound is of a "clonky" type, and can be "felt" through the footrests, then it is most likely wheel bearing again. I had mine changed ~5tkm ago and things were quiet for a while. Now I am getting the clonk again. Will take the wheel down later this week to have a look.

Guest ratchethack

Howzabout some clues on the nature of this weird sound, por favor?

Are we talking about a repetitive, staccato rat-tat-tat like a distant machine gun, a cough or sneeze like a consumptive beggar, or perhaps a deep, breathy moan like a trollop in heat? :huh2:

When you hear it, is there a passenger sitting behind you, trying to get your attention? Just checkin'. If so, and it sounds like #3 above -- Hey! You know wot to do, dawg. . . ;)

What Tom said. Sounds like the signature V11 rear brake groan.

It's probably the rear brake dragging. See if the rear caliper or disk are very warm or hot after a ride. Be careful, the disk can burn you if the brake is dragging. The fix is to pull the caliper and pads and give the caliper a good cleaning. You can do it without removing it from the brake line. Might as well bleed the rear brake while you're at it. :luigi:

Thank you Gentleman for all your help i think Toms reply my prove to be correct,i just pulled my rear calliper off and theres not much pad left,it all come's back to me now when i had the rear bearings done last year the mechanic said the pads were allmost toast,"AGE".

Ratch you should have been a comedian,did'nt sound like the begger,no two up for this guy,what a way to spoil a ride,as for the trollop that might have been close but as i've not been around one in a while in truth i would not know.

I did order pads with the side stand engine interlock switch which finaly arrived after nearly three months so i guess my little Gray Cells as Hercuel Pierot puts it were working somewhat.

Toodles Stu.

PS Try this WWW.mgnoc.com, Rich Maund gives a little advice,you might have allready seen this.

Guest ratchethack
. . .i guess my little Gray Cells as Hercuel Pierot puts it were working somewhat.

I b'lieve the little Belge could've ID'd the infamous characteristic groan of loaded-up rear brake pucks from a photo of tire prints left a month ago on another continent. . . in the rain. . . :o

post-1212-1251331611.jpg

As Super Sleuths go, Hercule Poirot was the very best, you know. . . :notworthy:

I b'lieve the little Belge could've ID'd the infamous characteristic groan of loaded-up rear brake pucks from a photo of tire prints left a month ago on another continent. . . in the rain. . . :o

Poirot.jpg

As Super Sleuths go, Hercule Poirot was the very best, you know. . . :notworthy:

Dam it i new it was an o and not an e in his last name o well,not a pun,yes super sleuth indeed allthough being a x Limey i have to put in a little plug for Sherlock and some of his comtem'porary's "IE"Insp Morse,Insp Barnaby from Midsummer Murders,thats the thing when your single even at my age to much time to watch TV, 7 months of winter will do that.

Cheers Stu.