Marzocchi - how to open

Guzzi2Go

Finally got around to have a go at the forks. Managed to open the right leg, but I am having problems disengaging the cap on the left one. Grabbed the blue nut and the top cap (just as on the right leg), but they do not budge.

Should I take a bigger hammer or is there any other trick on how to unscrew the cap that I am unaware of?

If your marzocchi's are the same as mine they should both come apart the same way. maybe that one's just a bit tighter,I suggest breaker bar and socket on the cap and longer spanner on the blue nut :D grunting and swearing sometimes helps :lol:

If your marzocchi's are the same as mine they should both come apart the same way. maybe that one's just a bit tighter,I suggest breaker bar and socket on the cap and longer spanner on the blue nut :D grunting and swearing sometimes helps :lol:

If your forks are still in the clamps make sure the upper pinch bolts are undone otherwise the compression will tend to lock the cap.

Pete

The jam nut (blue) is just tight. They both come apart the same.

Back off your dampng adjusting screw when going back together.

Guest ratchethack
Finally got around to have a go at the forks. Managed to open the right leg, but I am having problems disengaging the cap on the left one. Grabbed the blue nut and the top cap (just as on the right leg), but they do not budge.

Should I take a bigger hammer or is there any other trick on how to unscrew the cap that I am unaware of?

?? If you have the blue nut exposed, the top cap is already off the stanchion.

The blue nut is simply a jam nut against the internally threaded cap, as Dan noted.

Ditto fully backing off the damping adjusters for disassembly, per the Guzzi manual.

2 wrenches, a little squeeze, and there you have it. :huh2:

Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey. ;)

Done!

But it took an OOOOOOMMPPHH!

Guido was probably carbed up from pasta the night before and a bit buzzed from a doppio espresso that morning before he assembled your fork. Or maybe he was just pissed at Sylvia.