starts then dies

renato

gonna try cleaning them first, its got me scratching my head, i miss riding my baby

i was just thinking about the relays, the only one i hear is the starter/injector relay, im going to try to push them all up and make sure they are all contacting, hopefully this is the fix, till tomorrow, let ya know

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sidestand switch? wires around steering neck under tank, left side can come unplugged?

today i tried to start it and got no spark at all, i tried all the wires and connectors under the tank i unplugged them and replugged them, starter turns and i hear the fuel pump priming also one relay is clicking but no others? there is 5 relays in a row, tried to look for schematics for a 2003 io see witch is witch but did not find one, only 1999 and 2004,different amount of relays , do you know where i can find one? thankx

Guest ratchethack
. . .there is 5 relays in a row, tried to look for schematics for a 2003 io see witch is witch. . .

Front to back:

START

LIGHTS

NEUTRAL

ECU

EFI

I guess you'll be swapping relais still next year. Have you checked the phase sensor? Do you have a Guzzi shop in your next neighbourhood (speaking Guzzi 50 miles would be quite close ;) )

Hubert

I guess you'll be swapping relais still next year. Have you checked the phase sensor? Do you have a Guzzi shop in your next neighbourhood (speaking Guzzi 50 miles would be quite close ;) )

Hubert

No, im going to check what you told me tomorrow with a meter. thankx

• 2 weeks later...
Do follow the link which Raz provided you. Good link, btw.

Hubert

finally had time to swap relays, no go, no spark, just the same starter turns motor and all relays clicking now, anyway do you know were i can get a phase sensor for less than $130.00 or is that a good price

As long as the starter turns the engine the bike should start, regardless whether a digital V-meter says 9,8 or 10,2 V. That's my experience.

Question: after turning on the ignition, does the pump prime for 1 or 2 seconds?

Next question: after releasing the starter button, does it run again for 1 or 2 seconds or does it stay quiet?

Question 3: have you really checked whether you have a spark, holding the plug(s) against minus (blank engine part, screw head)?

You have checked the phase sensor now?

Hubert

renato, What's the exact digital voltage of the battery? And then after the lights are on for three minutes?

checked the battery with a yuasa tester,tester says good, multimeter reads 12.58, have not gone as long as 3 minutes, ill give it a try. thankx

As long as the starter turns the engine the bike should start, regardless whether a digital V-meter says 9,8 or 10,2 V. That's my experience.

Question: after turning on the ignition, does the pump prime for 1 or 2 seconds?

Next question: after releasing the starter button, does it run again for 1 or 2 seconds or does it stay quiet?

Question 3: have you really checked whether you have a spark, holding the plug(s) against minus (blank engine part, screw head)?

You have checked the phase sensor now?

Hubert

pump primes for at least 2 seconds and i will have to check if it still primes after i release the starter button, checked spark with a spark tester, havent got my multi-meter back yet since last week, by the way do you test the sensor with the starter turning?

The resistance test is with sensor disconnected from bike. There is a three pin plug somewhere up along the cable:

phase_sensor.png

But Luhbo's test is better: If the pump runs a little time more after you stop cranking, or if you by other means detect that it does run during cranking, then this sensor is OK.

The resistance test is with sensor disconnected from bike. There is a three pin plug somewhere up along the cable:

phase_sensor.png

But Luhbo's test is better: If the pump runs a little time more after you stop cranking, or if you by other means detect that it does run during cranking, then this sensor is OK.

ill check that, thankx

phase_sensor.png

hey, got some time and checked the phase sensor by cranking the motor and the fuel pump did not prime after cranking, so i removed it and it was swollen like may be burnt out, tested it got nothing on the meter, purchased a new one installed it and got that great sound out of my cut down mistrals that i love to hear, thankx to all for all your help