Newly Smitten

Rocky

Ok so I've been riding bikes most of my life but since turning 40 (13 years ago) I seem to have gone a little manic. It's just gotten worse because for some reason the V11 is calling me. They've crossed my path in the past and I sort of dismissed them as too heavy and not having the performance to match the looks. Well things have changed in me and I'm definitely in a place where what matters is how a bike makes you feel and from everything I've read the V11 makes you feel pretty darn good. So I have a question about the different color schemes. The one that I love is the silver with a red frame, I wanted to know what years did they make the silver incarnation and did it ever come in a half fairing? If anyone could point me into info on the history of the V11 I woulld appreciate it.

Thanks

Guest ratchethack

Welcome, Rocky. As an owner of a 2000 red-frame silver Sport, I'd crossed a similar transition in my thinking about what riding is all about at about the same age you did 6 years ago. After 11 previous moto's, I'd jumped off the silly and futile "more is better" treadmill a decade previous, having graduated up into the certifiable Road Geez category, along with the hard-earned requisite wisdom that chasing peaks on dyno charts and track times have next to nothing wotsoever to do with the pure enjoyment of riding on the road. As far as your color scheme of choice goes, I believe the silver on red "short frame" Sport with 25 degree rake was limited to late '99 and 2000, possibly part way into 2001 here in the US. None came with fairings, but Stucchi offered a nicely done quarter fairing with a perfect silver color match (the toughest color to match), as fitted on mine. Don't know if Stucchi still offers these.

post-1212-1248546607_thumb.jpg post-1212-1248548803_thumb.jpg

As far as a history reference, Greg Field of Moto International (frequent Forum contributor) has a "color history" book (of which I have a '98 edition), Moto Guzzi Big Twins. It's a decent history reference, but the edition I have only takes the reader up to the announcement of the red-frame Sports. Greg's partner in crime at Moto International, Dave Richardson, has an invaluable owner/service manual supplement and parts reference guide entitled, Guzziology that many Guzzisti consider mandatory for long-term Guzzi ownership. I have one of each and recommend both. Available on Amazon or direct from Moto International, (or at least Guzziology was, back when I got my First Edition, ver. 5.3).

Here's Dave R's write-up on the (then) new Sport from a decade ago:

http://www.mgnoc.com/article_ask_the_wrench.html

If you're half as pleased with this model as I've been with mine, you'll consider your choice a permanent one. Though I have another moto which may eventually be replaced, the Guzzi will be with me as long as I can wind it around the back roads and mountains here at "inspired" speeds. ;)

Set up properly, they are a gem on the road, IMHO. Not set up properly -- not so much (surprisingly few are). . . But all you need to know to dial it in to match your requirements to a "T" can be found on this Forum.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info... man that is one beautiful bike. I can't wait to ride one... well, actually I'll have to as I don't have the cash at the moment. I have a 2003 BMW K1200Rs Zebra right now and have had it for the last four years. It's a wonderful all round bike, but if my wife didn't need to ride from time to time I'd be happy to let the bike go to another home, I'm ready for a change. Last year I added a Triumph Thruxton, but alas money got tight so she had to go. I only wish I'd thought of the V11 when I bought the Thruxton, I bet I'd still have it!

I'll bide my time and hope money flows a little easier in thye near future. I've had a bunch of Beemers over the past few years and been fairly happy with no major issues. The thing is they've become so technologically advanced that it's hard to really work on the new one's, plus they're not that reliable any more. I want to go back to a simpler time, the Thruxton almost did that, but was uncomfortable and did lack some soul even though I piped it and fiddled with the thing to get more character. I think a nicely cared for V11 would do just fine

KRS_E_Mail.jpg

I have wanted a v11 since they came out , and just a month ago i was able to pick one up that needed some TLC, which made her affordable.

Rarely has any machine appealed to me on so many levels.

I colllect and race Corvairs , so I like to be a little off the beaten path, and the Guzzi certianly fills that need.

My desire was purely visual , since I had never ridden one , because I love the lines of the bodywork, voloptous but sparse- and the engine layout has aways intrigued me- I love the look .

What was a pleasant surprise is the personality the bike has- As soon as you light it off, you know there is a big twin thumping away - the soundtrack is incredible - qnd once underway , it is happy to achieve whatver velocity you dictate , and even though the V11 may be underpowered by some standards , it still writes checks the brakes can't cash - (and these are incredible brakes )- and the willigness to climb hills and accelerate in any gear show just how broad the power is . I would say the power is very usable , and she sounds great to boot

Concerned that the riding position would be too extreme ( I am a dirt bike guy) I was researching bar risers etc- but the bike fits me like a glove and so far I may just do the buell pegs , as I have a little trouble getting my stubby legs up onto the pegs- but once settled in I'm pretty comfortable.

I keep finding excuses to ride her somewhere. Smitten is a great word.

I have heard said the best indication of just how desireable a motorcycle can be, is how many times you look back after you park her . I'm doing a lot of that .

Not to mention that having found a a forum with articulate and experienced members is essential to navigating all the issues that crop up.

So , get one and you will never regret it - my only regret is that i had to wait 9 years to get my 2000 !

Oh and I like the silver best too

Good luck and happy hunting

Here is a link to a breakdown of models by year. I was sent this link when I made basically the same post as you have 3 months ago.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5691

I too fell in love with the Silver with grey engine. But i will say the green grows on you and would not have minded a greenie either.

I'm now in the process of changing some ergonomics (adding bars instead of clip-ons). If I hadn't fallen in love with the grey I probably would

have gotten a cafe or ballabio for the riding position.

I have a Magni fairing on her right now that I will be selling some time this season, it creates a lower riding position since it requires lower

clip-ons. I left my all out speed days behind me years ago and wanted a sweet looking ride that fit my (11th anniversary of my 29th bday)

age. I too kept my sport tourer (but she hasn't been out of the garage since the guzzi came along).

Have fun and be patient looking, the right one will show up.

Thanks for the info... man that is one beautiful bike. I can't wait to ride one... well, actually I'll have to as I don't have the cash at the moment. I have a 2003 BMW K1200Rs Zebra right now and have had it for the last four years. It's a wonderful all round bike, but if my wife didn't need to ride from time to time I'd be happy to let the bike go to another home, I'm ready for a change. Last year I added a Triumph Thruxton, but alas money got tight so she had to go. I only wish I'd thought of the V11 when I bought the Thruxton, I bet I'd still have it!

I'll bide my time and hope money flows a little easier in thye near future. I've had a bunch of Beemers over the past few years and been fairly happy with no major issues. The thing is they've become so technologically advanced that it's hard to really work on the new one's, plus they're not that reliable any more. I want to go back to a simpler time, the Thruxton almost did that, but was uncomfortable and did lack some soul even though I piped it and fiddled with the thing to get more character. I think a nicely cared for V11 would do just fine

KRS_E_Mail.jpg

Hi Rocky, welcome on this forum.

Balboa or Marciano? Does not matter; Italian anyway :lol:

Please take my advise, don't post no pic's like this on this forum again, it's the same combi as nutella on spaghetti. <_>