Leaky Fuel injector...?

2003v11

I know this bike doesn't have a carb (just got done reading that post...) but the metal thing that looks like where the air and fuel would mix, and has some bolts/springs on the bottom of it, is currently leaking onto my pipe.

Granted this is not a huge leak, but a drip here and there is going to lead to some major pipe discoloration, I would think. The bottom of that housing is looking pretty discolored as well.

Any thoughts on what this is, or how to fix it. And not knowing WTF that piece is now that I know it's not a carb, I am a little reluctant to strip it down W/O proper knowledge.

Any thoughts would be great

Thanks

This thread mentions replacing seals: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=147544 and I'll try that Yamaha seals myself this winter.

The instead-of-carb-thingy is called the throttle body. It's much simpler than a carb, it's just a throttle butterfly for air and an injector solenoid (controlled by the ECU) for the pressured fuel.

Any thoughts would be great

Thanks

There shouldn't be enough fuel at the throttle plate pivot to leak regardless of seal condition. Make sure it is not coming from where the throttle body connects to the rubber manifold. Sometimes the rubber cracks and sometimes the clamp is merely loose. Occasionally these injectors dribble excessive fuel if they are dirty and don't close properly. A similar topic was over-discussed here: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14826

The injector is on the back side of the throttle body. It is the part with the electrical plug attached to it.

What is the mileage / condition of your bike? Had it been sitting? What fuel do you use?

Don't worry about your pipe. They are stainless steel and clean up nicely with an abrasive pad like Scotchbrite.

• 2 weeks later...

Guzzi replaced my entire Throttle body/ injector/ TPS rack under warranty for this 'drip.'

At the same time , my dealer told me, "If you turn the key on or just start the bike briefly (like to listen to the burble), it will pressurize the fuel system and tend to drip."

At the time I thought that was bull, but it's true. Brief pressurizing will promote the drip.

Otherwise, be sure you've done a good TPS setting and throttle body synch, and wipe off the drip periodically.

It's like my son says of the F18: "If it ain't leakin', somethings wrong . . ."