Jens (Guzzitech.dk) is saying goodbye....

jenslh

I've had my RT since '04. Your comment on boring is pretty much right on. The bike functions very well. Handles better than a big bike should, has good weather protection and is quite comfortable. Hard to feel passionate about it like the MG though.

In February I rented an '07 R1200GS and put 1200 miles on it doing Baja. Excellent handling on the road and off for such a big bike. Much livelier motor than the earlier 1150. If & when I change my RT I'll probably go to a GS. Still somewhat uninspired but just plain works very well.

At mid-Ohio VMD this year, I took a new R1200RT out for a demo ride. It was a very competent bike, ergos were good, power seemed good. But I found it dreadfully bland. I was more than ready to walk away from it after the 30 mile ride. Nothing wrong with it other than uninspiring - which to me is a huge flaw in a motorcycle. I have other beemers (77 R100S, 85 K100RT) that hve considerably more character. And neither of them come close to matching the character of my Guzzi's (80 SP1000 and 02 V11 LeMans).

I'll keep my Guzzi's, thanks...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That which works, shims under bucket, synthetic jackets, oversquare engines, the online community. Go to the bike show, any one of them. I always consider it time well spent especially if I find something I agree with regards a motorcycle. In 1999 it was an SV650 in 2009 it was an F800. Good on you for finding a drive. Like all sweet things, are you having difficulty sleeping? I rode a turn key for 4 years before engaging again and embracing my Lemans. The tech tree, ebay included, seems to have replaced the challenge of the swapmeet, the physical research and thinking/conversing on your feet. As the apples drop and the leatherclad horde comes upon the horizon, cuttingtorches in hand sights set on their share of the Guzzi kill, the Spines will join the Tontis as the cradles of the next generation. Dealer support? Accessible supply? Why look here, Guzzi has always been truant regards these issues. At least that small factory could get us parts in West Canada within the week. That is a fact. I wouldnt attempt that with the new owners. Back to the show, that 10 year gap with very few exceptions didnt produce something for me. But then again I still have my Pan 26 years later. Ill wager that Lemans runs the course of time too! I can appreciate the effort it must have taken to run that site. Helping people you've never met is laudible for sure. Best to you on the new ride. I, like the writer before me have sampled the wares of that manufacture and found them wanting. Talk to us in a couple seasons. Have fun amigo!

That which works, shims under bucket, synthetic jackets, oversquare engines, the online community. Go to the bike show, any one of them. I always consider it time well spent especially if I find something I agree with regards a motorcycle. In 1999 it was an SV650 in 2009 it was an F800. Good on you for finding a drive. Like all sweet things, are you having difficulty sleeping? I rode a turn key for 4 years before engaging again and embracing my Lemans. The tech tree, ebay included, seems to have replaced the challenge of the swapmeet, the physical research and thinking/conversing on your feet. As the apples drop and the leatherclad horde comes upon the horizon, cuttingtorches in hand sights set on their share of the Guzzi kill, the Spines will join the Tontis as the cradles of the next generation. Dealer support? Accessible supply? Why look here, Guzzi has always been truant regards these issues. At least that small factory could get us parts in West Canada within the week. That is a fact. I wouldnt attempt that with the new owners. Back to the show, that 10 year gap with very few exceptions didnt produce something for me. But then again I still have my Pan 26 years later. Ill wager that Lemans runs the course of time too! I can appreciate the effort it must have taken to run that site. Helping people you've never met is laudible for sure. Best to you on the new ride. I, like the writer before me have sampled the wares of that manufacture and found them wanting. Talk to us in a couple seasons. Have fun amigo!

Jens i'm new to this site so i cant' say i've read any of your threads but you seem to be held in high regard which says a lot of what you have ment to this site,so good luck with your new ride.

I to was looking at the F800 with longing,i see many comeing my way up here in Northern British Columbia Canada as i'm on one of the two main routes to Alaska,i saw one today parked in the parking lot of one of our cafe's as i went for a ride on my 2002 Le Mans, he had all the u'sual stuff for the long ride,aluminum panniers and top case and everything else you would need,i think i saw a couple of spare tires in there to,it's truly amazing how many bikes make the trek up to Alaska in one summer season,you might want to try it some day.

Cheers Stu.