Speedo Cable

Dimitris

Went for track day today. The LeMans was running very well! Returning back home I noticed that the Speedometer was not working. Obviously the speedo cable has been cut.

Where to find now? Does anyone has any in stock? Want to buy one. (Suppose those days all Italian stores are CLOSED)

Went for track day today. The LeMans was running very well! Returning back home I noticed that the Speedometer was not working. Obviously the speedo cable has been cut.

Where to find now? Does anyone has any in stock? Want to buy one. (Suppose those days all Italian stores are CLOSED)

Are you sure it's the cable, or perhaps one of the angle drives? From my experience, it seems that the angle drives will fall apart if you look at them funny...

__Jason

I just buy a universal repair cable at an auto parts store - cut to length and swage on the tip. The speedo cable breaks about 3" above the tranny because of binding. Consider it a consumable like oil and gas - the new cable design is just as bad as the old, maybe worse. Joe

Guest ratchethack
Think I'll go to a part center and make them make a new one. Thank you for your replies!

Good call, Dimitris. Any speedo shop can put proper ends on a new cable in a matter of minutes if you bring the broken pieces in so they can match ends and length. Best value, as mentioned above. At the insistence of the owner/rider, I replaced a broken "angled shroud" cable on a '04 LM (like your '03) with an OEM. I still have his original cable shroud in my perpetual home shop moto cable "wreath". The cost of OE replacement was somewhere North of $100 USD.

Two items:

1. Keeping this cable lubed properly from the top end will keep it operating smoothly, prevent corrosion, and delay snapping for many tens of thousands of miles, at least. I use gearbox lube, which migrates down the cable acording to the direction of the windings on the cable and shroud. Excess lube eventually finds its way into the gearbox.

2. If you carefully open up the angle at the bend of your cable shroud very slightly, this results in a more gentle curve from the gearbox under the TB cross-stay on the left-hand side of the spine, and up to the instrument head. This will likewise ease wear on the cable.

Hope this helps. :luigi:

• 2 weeks later...

Educate me. I have a fixed fairing on my V11, and the speedo cable's joint to the speedo is a non-angled one. My mech told me that because it is non-angled, I need an angled one so that there is no flex in the cable; e.g. the type used by the V11 LeMans. Any grain of truth in that?

Cheers

Guest ratchethack
Educate me. I have a fixed fairing on my V11, and the speedo cable's joint to the speedo is a non-angled one. My mech told me that because it is non-angled, I need an angled one so that there is no flex in the cable; e.g. the type used by the V11 LeMans. Any grain of truth in that?

Cheers

None a-tall. Your mech is smokin' happy herbs. :rasta:

The OE V11 LM cable is straight at the instrument head.