erratic gear shifting

dark_bike

time to pick the collective V11 brains assembled here with a gearbox issue.

Most of the time the box on my Scura shifts well, but there are days its downright unwilling (reluctant to change up, needs a proper kick then) or rather the reverse (need only to lift a toe and the lever moves up). whenever it is behaving badly the shift lever stays hanging in mid air so to speak ie doesnt return to its starting position. The latest event was that the box jumped out of gear when I hit a speed bump (unless I keep my foot on the lever)

all this mainly occurs at lowish speeds/revs - hot or cold, no problem changing gear on the motorway. at higher revs the shift lever returns properly too.

I found a number of posts on the gear change linkage becoming sloppy because of a nut working loose (still have to check that - how much play should be allowed anyway?) but I suspect the cause lies somewhere inside the box, because of the jumping out of gear. a duff spring? (but dont those either work or break?)

I put redline shockproof heavy in the box but that didnt make any difference.

time to pick the collective V11 brains assembled here with a gearbox issue.

Most of the time the box on my Scura shifts well, but there are days its downright unwilling (reluctant to change up, needs a proper kick then) or rather the reverse (need only to lift a toe and the lever moves up). whenever it is behaving badly the shift lever stays hanging in mid air so to speak ie doesnt return to its starting position. The latest event was that the box jumped out of gear when I hit a speed bump (unless I keep my foot on the lever)

all this mainly occurs at lowish speeds/revs - hot or cold, no problem changing gear on the motorway. at higher revs the shift lever returns properly too.

I found a number of posts on the gear change linkage becoming sloppy because of a nut working loose (still have to check that - how much play should be allowed anyway?) but I suspect the cause lies somewhere inside the box, because of the jumping out of gear. a duff spring? (but dont those either work or break?)

I put redline shockproof heavy in the box but that didnt make any difference.

Check the external linkage first, the joints may require cleaning and oiling.

If you remove the starter (remember to disconnect the battery first) you can easily check it.

Check the linkage first. If thats not it, remove the gearshift cover. Then check the springs inside. If thats not it check the upper gear cog with the pegs that catch when you shift the gears. I know I'm describing it badly but that mechanism can get out of whack & need to be taken out & put back in properly.