Bar end mirrors

tom3

I like the Napoleans. They are pretty much a full size mirror so you can see what's behind you. They are not as trick as some of the others but they do work for me.

I use Napolean Beren's. BTW, they are available in chrome too. While the Rizomas and CRG's are probably just a step up quality wise, Napoleans are certainly not crap. Stadium's are entry level cost wise, as well as price. Napolean's have convex mirror. I also like the Napoleans because they are heavier, they actually reduced the vibration on the hands, almost like bar end weights.

Steve

Thanks for all your responses. I decided to try a pair of Napoleans.. just ordered them.

Now I read that the factory bar end weights are a bear to remove. Is the proper way to remove them to use an allen wrench to loosen the hex bolt at the bar end? I tried it without applying a lot of force, and the controls (where the turn signal and high beam controls are, on the left side) seem to want to turn as well. Do I need to hold them in place while trying to turn loose the hex bolt? Or perhaps I need to hold the factory bar end while turning the hex bolt?

Please pardon my newbieness.. thanks.

Thanks for all your responses. I decided to try a pair of Napoleans.. just ordered them.

Now I read that the factory bar end weights are a bear to remove. Is the proper way to remove them to use an allen wrench to loosen the hex bolt at the bar end? I tried it without applying a lot of force, and the controls (where the turn signal and high beam controls are, on the left side) seem to want to turn as well. Do I need to hold them in place while trying to turn loose the hex bolt? Or perhaps I need to hold the factory bar end while turning the hex bolt?

Please pardon my newbieness.. thanks.

Welcome tom3!

If the controls are turning your handlebar is rotating in the clamp. Tighten the clamp.

The trick to getting the stock end weights off is to unscrew the socket screw on the end of the weight while holding the weight to prevent it from rotating too. A strap wrench might be the best tool for this. Vice grips or pliers will work if you can prevent them from scratching and gouging the weight. I wrapped my end weights in duct tape and used big pliers to hold them and luckily did no harm to the weights. Then I bought a strap wrench for next time.

Once the end screw is out the weight will pull off the end of the bar. Watch out for the little dowel pin behind the weight, it's easy to lose. Next unscrew the large hex fitting from the end of the bar and the rest of the assembly will pull out of the bar. Done!

on the earlier version the hex screw IS the bar end weight. Its a right pig to get out. I have tried for three years to get my left side off without succeeding. it bonds with the handlebar. dont dare to use as much force as is needed, and the handlebar itself twists when I try.

I would have the napoeleons if I got it off, for that chromed retro look.