D-section shaft on trip odo axle

tmcafe

Trying to remove the D-section shaft that screws onto the reverse threaded trip reset axle in the old speedo/odo (knob broke off and small pieces of it are rattling in the case). The bugger won't loosen at all. I'm suspecting it's either glued or at least threadlocked real well onto the threaded axle. It looks a bit misaligned with the axle, so actually it makes me think that it wasn't screwed in but rather glued. I read that some folks got replacement knobs that didn't fit. Maybe the knob was sized for the Veglia odo reset axle and wouldn't fit the ITI ones.

Also haven't found a way to block/hold fast the reset axle so that I can put more torque to try to loosen the D-section shaft. Anybody done it?

Trying to remove the D-section shaft that screws onto the reverse threaded trip reset axle in the old speedo/odo (knob broke off and small pieces of it are rattling in the case). The bugger won't loosen at all. I'm suspecting it's either glued or at least threadlocked real well onto the threaded axle. It looks a bit misaligned with the axle, so actually it makes me think that it wasn't screwed in but rather glued. I read that some folks got replacement knobs that didn't fit. Maybe the knob was sized for the Veglia odo reset axle and wouldn't fit the ITI ones.

Also haven't found a way to block/hold fast the reset axle so that I can put more torque to try to loosen the D-section shaft. Anybody done it?

The shaft and the brass collet have two different diameters. The only way to make them stay together is to glue them together. If the assemble aligns them properly during assembly, they will be close enough to concentric in axis. If not, You get what you have.