soon to be ballabio owner in flagstaff, az

gothamAlp

hello all -

after a chronic case of guzzi-lust and lot of shopping around i have just put a deposit on a 2004 ballabio in the bay area. later this month i'll fly up there and ride the beast home. needless to say, i'm pretty excited about it.

this site has given me a lot of fantastic information, but one thing i could use some help on is a shop manual. the existing link for shop manuals does not seem to be functioning properly and i'm wondering if somebody here has a shop manual in digital format that they could send me, or a functioning link where i can download the thing.

thanks and look for my ride report on bringing the ballabio home later this month. :bike:

Hey gA, Welcome aboard, you've just signed on to a great Guzzi site, and it only gets better, and wilder as time goes on. Sounds like you are about to have a very memorable ride, in my estimation. Check "this old tractor.com" and I believe you will find the manual you seek. Good Luck, ride it fast enough to scare yourself, and still ride home! S.H.

Guest ratchethack

Congrat's and welcome, GA. Nice choice. :thumbsup:

Just my take, but unless you're a well-conditioned, iron-butted pavement pounder, best take it easy on your delivery ride, and not attempt it in one shot. Any way you go, there are some pretty long, hard miles between the Bay Area and Flagstaff. Ideally, you'll be taking at least 2 days by one of the many slightly longer scenic routes? If you haven't been there this time o' year, and if you can manage to stay ahead of the first snow in the passes (that'll be a day by day call late this month!), Lake Tahoe by way of Hwy. 50 is a great ride (tourist season is over) and 395 would be incredibly scenic, though the long stretch between Lone Pine and Needles is as monotonous as it gets. But o' course you more'n likely know that part. ;)

Have fun. :bike:

Congrat's and welcome, GA. Nice choice. :thumbsup:

Just my take, but unless you're a well-conditioned, iron-butted pavement pounder, best take it easy on your delivery ride, and not attempt it in one shot. Any way you go, there are some pretty long, hard miles between the Bay Area and Flagstaff. Ideally, you'll be taking at least 2 days by one of the many slightly longer scenic routes? If you haven't been there this time o' year, and if you can manage to stay ahead of the first snow in the passes (that'll be a day by day call late this month!), Lake Tahoe by way of Hwy. 50 is a great ride (tourist season is over) and 395 would be incredibly scenic, though the long stretch between Lone Pine and Needles is as monotonous as it gets. But o' course you more'n likely know that part. ;)

thx, ratchet -

i'm gonna give myself a couple of days to get home and every intention of enjoying the ride. i know 395, and will stop at the venerable whoa nellie deli at lee vining after going through or around yellowstone, then cut across nevada. will post a ride report when i get home with all the gory details.

cheers, mate.

Guest ratchethack

OUTSTANDING, GA. Sounds like a great adventure. :thumbsup:

But unless you really plan on taking a week or so to swing up through Yellowstone, I reckon you might mean Yosemite instead? :P

Just checkin'. ;)

Though I don't recall the name, no doubt I stopped in at the Whoa Nellie Deli at one or more points over the years in my many meanderings between Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, and Mammoth -- Lee Vining offering a few of the closest to "civliized" travel accomodations thereabouts. . .

You might be well advised to keep in mind that Tioga Pass on Rte. 120 is the highest pass over the Sierras in CA, up around the tree line at 10K ft., and you know how quickly early Sierra snowstorms can blast in outta nowhere in late October. :o

Speaking of which,

post-1212-1255051660_thumb.jpg

Tahoe^ and Mammoth already got dumped on pretty heavily (weather report photo from Monday).

Tioga Pass was CLOSED due to snow on Sunday, with snow expected down to 5K ft. (see report here):

http://www.mymotherlode.com/news/local/new...l.php?ID=560834

That's a NON-TRIVIAL consideration for someone on a Ballabio (or any other moto), new to him or otherwise. :unsure:

Have fun, but best keep a keen weather eye peeled, my friend.

Guest ratchethack
thx for the words to the wise, amigo. they shall be heeded. and i'll post a ride report upon my return. :thumbsup:

Not to belabor the point, but remember the Donner Party? :o

The most gruesome of the Donner Party festivities began in late October, also in the High Sierra, not all that far north from Tioga Pass. . . and Donner Pass is some 3,000 ft. below Tioga in elevation. . . :unsure:

Lookin' forward to your ride report.

The "Donner Party". Probably the worst documented event in U.S. history.

I watched a documentary about this 20 yrs. ago on PBS. Every 5 min. I thought it couldn't get any worse but it did! Everyone needs to read or watch something about this tragedy. You will stop complaining about your daily discomforts.

Guest ratchethack
Everyone needs to read or watch something about this tragedy.

It's a lesson of history still not well enough heeded some 160 years after the fact. Even today, people die nearly every year in the same area, in much the same way, taken by surprise by sudden snowstorms. I lived on the other side of Lake Tahoe from Donner Pass (below Daggett Pass on the Nevada side) through 5 winters. October through December is the time of year people get into serious trouble.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/donner/