How to test directional switch?

df2

Hi, I'm hoping for some help diagnosing my signal switch. I'm pretty sure that is where the problem is with my directionals which have stopped working. I disconnected the front directionals and tested the wires going to, and then tested the wires coming from directions, both show a continous loop, so I'm pretty sure it's not the bulbs etc.

I first identified I didn't have signals when I missed the switch with my thumb and kind of roughly smashed the switch over.

Anyway, I have been testing with a continuity tester and have the switch apart. The headlight connections all test fine, but there are quite a few connections under the plate which I don't know what is what.

I don't read wiring diagrams so can someone also identify logically the connection? Ie. From battery, to switch, to signals? I just am at a loss when it comes to this.

PS. If my rambling is based on total bogus logic, let me know.

It is likely the flasher unit. It is located at the rear outer edge of the relays(on the r.h.side of the bike) beneath the seat.

It can be obtained at any automotive parts store. Take the old one with you, it probably has 552 stamped on the top.

Not the flasher. Replaced that this weekend. I'll test the back end, though I don't expect it to be there, otherwise it's off to the shop cause I am not getting into the harness.

• 1 month later...
Not the flasher. Replaced that this weekend. I'll test the back end, though I don't expect it to be there, otherwise it's off to the shop cause I am not getting into the harness.

A quick check you can do with a multimeter (or 12V lamp)

With the key on, unplug the flasher, is there 12 V on one terminal

If No check Fuse F7

If Yes and none of your 4 flashers light up no matter where the switch is the chances are its in the switch.

Its quite easy to pull the switch apart but be carefull not to loose any of the small parts. Once you have it apart turn on the key and short between the center terminal and either of the outside terminals with the key on if the flashers go the fault is in the switch.

You can also check for voltage on the center terminal.

I doubt it.s in the wiring from switch to flasher lamps, it would be quite unusual for both sides to go at the same time.

Keep us posted.

Roy

FlashersJPEG.jpg

• 4 months later...

That's great,

I see you have changed the bars on your bike. This is something I need to do. Can you give me some details.

Thanks

Roy