Blowing Fuses

Coop07

I have been lurking for a while on here since I got my 2002 LeMans this past spring. I have just replaced the pawl spring and buttoned everything up. I went to try and start the bike (heard the fuel pump go through it's usual noise) and just got a click and then nothing. Checked the starter fuse and it had blown. I tried a back-up 15amp fuse and got the same. Looked at all of my connections at the battery and can't see anything amiss.

FYI, the battery is new and kept on a battery tender. All relays were replaced in April of this year with the ones from Motratech. I can't see any insulation missing from any wires where there could be a short, but does anyone have any ideas to try or places to look for the potential problem before I start trying to pull too many things apart? Thanks for your help.

Mike

I have been lurking for a while on here since I got my 2002 LeMans this past spring. I have just replaced the pawl spring and buttoned everything up. I went to try and start the bike (heard the fuel pump go through it's usual noise) and just got a click and then nothing. Checked the starter fuse and it had blown. I tried a back-up 15amp fuse and got the same. Looked at all of my connections at the battery and can't see anything amiss.

FYI, the battery is new and kept on a battery tender. All relays were replaced in April of this year with the ones from Motratech. I can't see any insulation missing from any wires where there could be a short, but does anyone have any ideas to try or places to look for the potential problem before I start trying to pull too many things apart? Thanks for your help.

Mike

I assume you mean the fuse went when you pressed the start button, The only thing after the button is the clutch switch then the start relay.

What is the number of the fuse that blows (fuse position from front of bike)

Have you had any of the electrics apart recently?

Roy

Yes, the fuse blows after pushing the starter button and a click and pop. It is the first 15 AMP fuse in the line (front of bike to back), I believe it is the third fuse in the case. I haven't had any electrics apart recently, other than removing the negative wires on the battery when I removed the starter to access the transmission. All wires were reconnected on the starter and are nice and tight. Thanks.

Guys, thanks for your help. I disconnected all the battery connections, cleaned them, cleaned all the relays, the connection to the starter and the fuses and the bike started right up. Must have been either a loose connection or some corrosion. Thanks for all of your help.

Mike

Guys, thanks for your help. I disconnected all the battery connections, cleaned them, cleaned all the relays, the connection to the starter and the fuses and the bike started right up. Must have been either a loose connection or some corrosion. Thanks for all of your help.

Mike

Thats great news. To prevent future problems apply petroleum jelly (vaseline) to the terminals. This keeps the Oxygen from the metal so

that Lead Oxide cannot form. Lead Oxide is a hard light grey insulating layer that mostly forms on the negative terminal.

I learned this trick as an apprentice working on large traction batteries.

Roy