Iffy lights

dark_bike

As the days shorten and I do more driving in the dark I noticed the instrument panel lights, and more importantly the head light, change brightness intermittently. Of course this only happens during driving <_ far from ideal and i wonder what causes it. the battery is new all terminals a clean properly fixed dont have any other electrical problems.>

I cant relate it to anything else, like revs of hitting a bump in the road or something. feels like an earth problem to me, but where?

so, a few questions:

a) there are 3 wires on the negative terminal of the battery. Are they connected to the frame or engine somewhere, and if so, where?

B) could it be a relay issue? if so, which relay is for the lights?

I checked all the connectors at the front and they seemed all ok, nothing loose there.

other than that the bike has been suspiciously reliable over the past months, once a few niggles were sorted.

regards

Tom

Try the relay dance: Swap all similar relays around round-robin. If it goes away or the fault moves to something else, you're on to somethin

There are plenty of threads around here on grounding, relays, relay sockets, switch contacts and the ultimate headlight fix: relaying the headlights. That is, with separate relays not feeding anything else and taking the load off the headlight switches.

Try to put a volt meter on the battery while running and see if voltage fluctuates with the flashing & dimming of the lights. If your voltage is steady indicating battery & alternator are not at fault, then look for voltage drops on both sides of the circuit. I don't have a wiring diagram in front of me but will look later at which wires to check.

There is some talk of adding a frame ground here: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...amp;hl=headlamp

If all your connections are OK, as raz indicated, there is a kit you can buy or make yourself to run a relay to power your headlamp directly which makes for a bright steady headlamp.

Lots of talk about that mod here: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...=1405&st=30

+1 on the Eastern Beaver kit. I put one in mine and it definately helps the output on your headlight. Part of the benefit of the relay idea is you remove that load from running through the starter circuit, IIRC. I have no interest in the company beyond being a happy customer who will hopefully need more kits for the other bikes I hope to add to the stable one day... :race: Good luck, ride fast enough to scare yourself and still ride home, S.H.

hmmm, so if I understand it right no matter whether the original system is working well or not, its always a good idea to put the headlights on a separate relay. Just ordered this kit from Eastern Beaver. Meanwhile I'll see if those grounds can be improved..never hurts. thanks for all the tips guys :P

at least it's some more tinkering to do...I was already getting bored now that my classic car is sort of finished (for the time being) <_>

hmmm, so if I understand it right no matter whether the original system is working well or not, its always a good idea to put the headlights on a separate relay. Just ordered this kit from Eastern Beaver. Meanwhile I'll see if those grounds can be improved..never hurts. thanks for all the tips guys :P

at least it's some more tinkering to do...I was already getting bored now that my classic car is sort of finished (for the time being) <_>

Yes DB, you understand it right. :thumbsup:

Thanks mznyc, I couldn't think of the company. Their kit is plug and play, worth the money in time saving.

I found EB on a Google search.I have yet to do the mod,on my "To Do" list.

Also the owner,can't remember his name,is a really good guy.I emailed him with a coupla questions and he was very helpful .I think he's a Yank living in Japan.He has a fusebox that looks sweet.Should be a good addition if you want to clean up the battery mess and add any farkles. http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Products.../PC-8/pc-8.html

Second Dan's thought,still may not be the cause of your problems Tom,but wouldn't hurt to do it and you'll get more light output.

Michael

Yes DB, you understand it right. :thumbsup:

Thanks mznyc, I couldn't think of the company. Their kit is plug and play, worth the money in time saving.

I installed the Eastern Beaver kit a couple years ago and while I'm very happy with the result it wasn't quite plug & play. I had to splice in a separate wire to keep that silly little extra bulb in the headlight housing alive. Maybe I didn't get the right kit?