Ordered Odyssey PC545 for my 03 LeMans - any install tips?

rktman1

I just ordered an Odyssey PC545 battery for my 03 LeMans. It looks like a 10-minute job but do any of you have any tips? I hope this is the same size as the original.

I installed a PC545 in my 2000 Jackal and it was a bit taller so the battery hold-down could not be installed else it kept the seat from fitting down properly. But the battery placement in the LeMans is quite different.

I just ordered an Odyssey PC545 battery for my 03 LeMans. It looks like a 10-minute job but do any of you have any tips? I hope this is the same size as the original.

I installed a PC545 in my 2000 Jackal and it was a bit taller so the battery hold-down could not be installed else it kept the seat from fitting down properly. But the battery placement in the LeMans is quite different.

It's the same. Take one out, put the other in. It is awkward getting the cables on, if you have additional connections, as the wires are a tightish fit. But simple enough. Make sure that you undo the negative connection first.

And fasten the positive first when the new battery goes in. The attach the negative. You don't want an accidental short with the spanner.

Make sure that you undo the negative connection first. And fasten the positive first when the new battery goes in. The attach the negative. You don't want an accidental short with the spanner.

Thanks for the reminder. I sometimes forget this.

Take care not to over-tighten the terminals. They put up with significantly less than you instinctively want to use for an M6 bolt. Over-tightening may break the terminal internally, rendering the battery useless. Guess how I know.

I (now) always use a screwdriver-handle, not even the tiniest wrench.

Guest ratchethack
I hope this is the same size as the original.

I have had no problem wotsoever installing my PC545 (other than an insignificant amount of interference with the seat pan) but there may be significant clearance considerations, depending on your weight and seat pan. It appears that there may be more than one possible seat pan with several interference possibilities. :huh:

See all the fun, folderol, dimension considerations, and potential interference solutions than you want (or possibly need) to think about in the discussion here:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...=PC545&st=0

I have had no problem wotsoever installing my PC545 (other than an insignificant amount of interference with the seat pan) but there may be significant clearance considerations, depending on your weight and seat pan. It appears that there may be more than one possible seat pan with several significant interference possibilities. :huh:

See all the fun, folderol, dimension considerations, and potential interference solutions than you want (or possibly need) to think about in the discussion here:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...=PC545&st=0

Thanks for that thread. Interesting. I will relate any problems I find here in this thread.

Take care not to over-tighten the terminals. They put up with significantly less than you instinctively want to use for an M6 bolt. Over-tightening may break the terminal internally, rendering the battery useless. Guess how I know.

I (now) always use a screwdriver-handle, not even the tiniest wrench.

Will do. Thanks.

(I was awful at over-tightening when I was young. I'm much better now. But I'll be more careful.)

I placed a couple of stick-on furniture pads on my frame rails forward of the battery to set the seat pan upon, yielding better clearance. k

Installed the Odyssey PC545 battery in my 03 LeMans today. It was exactly the same size as the battery that came out of the bike, which was labeled as a SPARK 500, made by Hesa of Milano, Italy for Moto Guzzi. But I swear, the Spark 500 was identical in every way to the Odyssey battery except one: The Odyssey battery had a red top while the Spark 500 had a black top. Because it was the exact same size, installation was a breeze. The old battery had a couple of pads glued to the side to keep it from rubbing on the two outside rails, so I used some weather stripping to do the same. As you know, the battery lies on its "back" with the bottom facing forward and the terminal end (the top) facing towards the rear of the bike.