Power Commander for 2004 V11

c20500

Howdy folks,

Which powercommader or other remaping controller/software is compatible with the 2004 V11 Sport?

Thanks for you suggestions.

Charles

Charles,

I installed a Dynajet Power Commander PCIII from the guys at guzzitech.com back in November on my 'O4 Le Mans and it made a world of difference in the way it runs. They will pre-map the unit for you if you ask them to before you order. They have numerous maps for just about every modification out there. You need to tell them what mods you have made to your bike so they know which map to use. I was at my wits end dealing with popping and bucking between 3000 to 3300 rpms and was about ready to sell the bike and get another one. It smoothed out the rough spots and I gained several horses in the process. I had a professional mechanic who owns and rides Guzzis and has a Le Mans like mine try to fix it, but he could not get the rough spot out. I finally bit the bullet (almost $400) but I'm glad I did. When you make additional mods, the unit comes with cables and software so you can remap it yourself. All you need is a laptop to remap right on the bike. I'm running Mistral Oval Cans and I removed the airbox cover for better air flow. Otherwise, the running gear is stock. I also installed a triple tree, low bars and risers for better long distance comfort. I'm planning to install Stucci crossover and possibly velocity stacks and I can remap the PCIII when I do. Go to the Guzzi Tech website and shoot Todd an e-mail. They come highly recommended from other Guzzisti I've talked to. Hope this helps.

JP in FL

You did an inspired job with your cans, so why don't you buy a My15M? Less money, better solution. Lambda sensitive for both sides, closed loop capable, self tuning, alter spark map, offset map left to right, bluetooth logging, analysis software etc. etc. Development ongoing, developer listening to you as well.

Hubert

You did an inspired job with your cans, so why don't you buy a My15M? Less money, better solution. Lambda sensitive for both sides, closed loop capable, self tuning, alter spark map, offset map left to right, bluetooth logging, analysis software etc. etc. Development ongoing, developer listening to you as well.

Hubert

yeah, I saw one of this PC III offered by McDonald in the Happy Meal of February. I guess you are to late for get one of this now...

Hubert

I agree, I just ordered the My15M kit. Seems like the current FI set up was just to pass evaporative emissions regulations. I will probably go the lambda sensor route. Thanks for the suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...

You'll not regret it. The MyEcu really brings you inside.

Hubert

Got the My15m kit on Saturday and completed it Monday morning and tested the bike Monday night... and it works! got the idle sorted, i'll mess with the map tomorrow after I put the cherry bombs back on... Thanks Hubert for the recommendation... Clif responded quickly to my assembly questions. I'll run open loop for now. regards,

Charles

• 3 weeks later...

Got the My15m kit on Saturday and completed it Monday morning and tested the bike Monday night... and it works! got the idle sorted, i'll mess with the map tomorrow after I put the cherry bombs back on... Thanks Hubert for the recommendation... Clif responded quickly to my assembly questions. I'll run open loop for now. regards,

Charles

think about an my15m instead of a power commander but wonder about support and warranty plus is it really worth double the money??

It can do a lot more then the Power Commander. Is it worth double the money? That depends on what you need/want. If you want to be able to adjust your ignition timing or set your bike up to run closed loop with an O2 sensor and programmable air/fuel targets, then yeah. Because a PC won't allow you to adjust your ignition and the AutoTune only works with the PCV and that may or may not be available. Contact Todd @ GuzziTech about that option.

As for support, that depends on how you define support. There is no local support that I am aware of in the States, no place to take the bike and have them make it work. If you are willing to put in the time and effort to do it yourself, with assistance by e-mail from other parts of the world, it certainly can work better then the PC option. But it is not as easy to do as the PC and more money.

For me the PC was good enough and cheaper. I have more money now then when I bought the PC but I still think if I had to do it all over again I would still buy the PC. I like the idea of my15m, and if I ever build a race bike I will get one. But for the street the PC works fine for me. Many bikes run just fine with a PC, so no matter what anybody else says, the PC's DO WORK. They aren't as fancy and can't do as much, but for many they do enough for less money. What do you want out of it?

think about an my15m instead of a power commander but wonder about support and warranty plus is it really worth double the money??

The assembled version is a lot of money, unfortunately. I bought the DIY kit, that is cheaper than a PC. It's not that hard to put together if you know [someone who knows] a little electronics.

Almost without exception, Cliff will answer email questions within 24 hours. That is not an explicitly expressed service level, but it's how it has been for me over the years.

Warranty, well I had one catastrophic failure. It was probably mostly my bike's fault but the ECU should have coped with it better. Cliff repaired it for free, I just paid my shipping. Also, he immediately made some changes in software and later more changes in hardware (I had a MkII, they are MkIV now) to handle similar problems better.

I bought my ECU three or four years ago and I still get new software versions for free. Latest firmware supports a bluetooth dongle so I don't even need to hook up a cable to my laptop if I want to tweak something or log a ride.

And if you come up with a good enhancement request, chances are Cliff will listen and update the firmware. I can't imagine having any influence on the Power Commander R&D...

rsully,

if you are worried about support and warranty and things like that you should probably go to your next well sorted and trained Guzzi dealer and let him flash the OEM ecu with an actual map and do a good maintenance and tuning job on your bike. Then you'll have a perfectly running V11 what's probably all you want.

I suggest this not because MyEcu wouldn't have support and warranty - exactly the opposite is the case - I suggest this just because you're obviously a bit afraid of the whole thing.

The MyEcu is not a competitor to the PC, in my eyes at least. I'm not sure whether a PC really has any competitor. The MyEcu is different. It can be your entrance to EFI, to Fuel Injection in general. If you're keen on something new, or maybe just feel offensed by this silvery blackbox which doesn't let you in regardless what you try, then you're a candidate for a My15M. This may sound a bit pathetic, ok, anyway my two My15M are on the road since the end of 2004, a MK1 for 4 years, now a MK2, for over 60.000km in total with no problems. They always brought me home. Very unpathetic. Both came as kits and were assembled with nothing more than a standard 20W iron, a pair of tweezers and a small side cutter. I still like them.

Hubert

rsully,

if you are worried about support and warranty and things like that you should probably go to your next well sorted and trained Guzzi dealer and let him flash the OEM ecu with an actual map and do a good maintenance and tuning job on your bike. Then you'll have a perfectly running V11 what's probably all you want.

I suggest this not because MyEcu wouldn't have support and warranty - exactly the opposite is the case - I suggest this just because you're obviously a bit afraid of the whole thing.

The MyEcu is not a competitor to the PC, in my eyes at least. I'm not sure whether a PC really has any competitor. The MyEcu is different. It can be your entrance to EFI, to Fuel Injection in general. If you're keen on something new, or maybe just feel offensed by this silvery blackbox which doesn't let you in regardless what you try, then you're a candidate for a My15M. This may sound a bit pathetic, ok, anyway my two My15M are on the road since the end of 2004, a MK1 for 4 years, now a MK2, for over 60.000km in total with no problems. They always brought me home. Very unpathetic. Both came as kits and were assembled with nothing more than a standard 20W iron, a pair of tweezers and a small side cutter. I still like them.

Hubert

If u can solder, it's the cheapest way to cure the 3k miss and map for whatever mod u might do in the future. Can't imagine not being able to alter the ignition advance if optimal tuning is what anyone is after.

Charles