Instrument cluster mount in loose!

Jamie

Well my new (to me) 2002 Lemans came the other day.. Wow! She is in great shape and I am very pleased - well worth the 5k I paid it seems! I noticed during my first ride that the instrument cluster really seemed loose, especially after seeing it jump up and down on the New England frost heaves! After closer inspection, I saw that 2 of the 3 rubber mounts has separated from the bolts that hold the cluster to the mounting plate - I am now in the process of cleaning them up and epoxying the bolts back onto the rubber... Anyone else have this happen?

The mount in the center came free on my cluster. And the bumper for the kickstand fell off in the garage as well. I have had good luck with super glue. They're both still holding strong. After my accident the cluster was ripped off. The one I repaired actually tore the rubber as opposed to separating the rubber from the metal, like the others.

Well my new (to me) 2002 Lemans came the other day.. Wow! She is in great shape and I am very pleased - well worth the 5k I paid it seems! I noticed during my first ride that the instrument cluster really seemed loose, especially after seeing it jump up and down on the New England frost heaves! After closer inspection, I saw that 2 of the 3 rubber mounts has separated from the bolts that hold the cluster to the mounting plate - I am now in the process of cleaning them up and epoxying the bolts back onto the rubber... Anyone else have this happen?

I had to reglue/epoxy mine a couple times but eventually replaced the two lower mounts with new ones and put a through bolt on the upper (with a pad under it) as the upper seemed to be the one that failed first, causing the cluster to move enough to make the lower mounts to fail. Havent had any trouble since, just be sure to use soft enough material for a pad to allow the cluster a little movement as the tachometer doesnt respond well to a rigid mount. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...