Best tire size for rear Rosso Corsa

turo

This question I'm sure has been asked before and I apologize for being redundant. I searched the forum but couldn't find a relevant post:)

I've got a 2003 Rosso Corsa with the standard 5.50 rear wheel, 180 size tire. I'd like to drop the tire size for better handeling. 170 is the lowest size recommended by the fine folks at Dunlop for safety.

Does that seem accurate, anybody use other choices and what is the downside of dropping down to say 160?

Thanks,

-john

I've got a 2003 Rosso Corsa with the standard 5.50 rear wheel, 180 size tire. I'd like to drop the tire size for better handeling. 170 is the lowest size recommended by the fine folks at Dunlop for safety.

Does that seem accurate, anybody use other choices and what is the downside of dropping down to say 160?

The downside is the possibility of a catastrophic loss of air pressure when heeled over @ ftb.

The 160 isn't designed to fit the wider wheel that can take a 180 section tire.

Yes, the 180 is mostly for looks, and is more tire than needed for the amount of power our old ditch pumps can generate. The 170/60 tire will fit the wide rim, or if you really want to go down to a 160[1], then you can find someone who has one of the early [up thru 2002 m.y?] narrower rims that came w/ a 160 rear & offer to swap with them; that's the route Pete Roper took on one of his state-side Guzzis.

Going from a 180 to a 170 worked well for me. The rim is too wide for a 160. I don't think you will ever loose the bead but the shape of the tire will be spread too much. You'll run to the edge earlier.

...I've got a 2003 Rosso Corsa with the standard 5.50 rear wheel, 180 size tire. I'd like to drop the tire size for better handeling. 170 is the lowest size recommended by the fine folks at Dunlop for safety.

Thanks,

-john

170 & 180 are recommended tyre widths for 5.5" rim.

170 tyre will improve steering feel on turn in over a 180 of the same type, but it's not that simple. I think a 170 on 5.5" rim will have slightly less lean available than a 180 as it is more flattened profile. Also some of the best handling/grippiest sports tyres are not available in 170 size. Different tyres have different profiles = steering characteristics & I have found Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's give good steering in 180 size. Certainly equivalent to less sports orientated tyres in 170 size.

160 is designed for narrower rim - profile will be distorted when stretched over 5.5". As has been said, get the smaller/earlier V11 wheel to use this tyre - I did, tho I never got round to fitting it yet. Not sure what's available in 160 size. For now I'm happy with the 180 2CT's on the larger rim.

KB