Steering Stem adjust/preload

txrider

First, this marks a long overdue return and I like the new look. Also see some new names as well as old ones missing.

But to the point- My 2004 LM has been parked for months and as I unmothball it I want to correct a looseness in the steering evidenced by too free a movement in the handlebars particularly noticeable when moving the bike around in the garage. So I decided to remove the steering stem and check for lubrication while attending to this since my bike showed dry joints at critical points in earlier work. There was grease in both bearings sets by the way.

Finally to my question- My factory shop manual is next to useless in describing preload set of the steering stem bearings. Is there a torque preload, then back off a prescribed amount, or what? Can you experienced wrenches advise on the best way to do this? Objective is to have free movement without too much drag I know but I'd like to know the recommended way to proceed.

Thanks in advance for any pointers on this.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I didn't get any takers on the question concerning bearing preload but the work went well including cleaning and regreasing the bearings which again, looked like new.

I used a bearing adjustment method of applying approx 5 lbs torq then backing off 1/8 turn which produced a smooth but controlled turn in of the front end and considerable improvement from the previous "floppy" feel.

Problem now is I've agreed to sell it and I have seller's remorse after taking it out this morning. Crap.

Looking ahead though I have a plan of acquiring a Breva 1200S but have an impression it is an altogether different bike than this 2004 LeMans. Anyone ride the two bikes I'd like to hear your impressions.

Sorry I didn't get any takers on the question concerning bearing preload but the work went well including cleaning and regreasing the bearings which again, looked like new.

I used a bearing adjustment method of applying approx 5 lbs torq then backing off 1/8 turn which produced a smooth but controlled turn in of the front end and considerable improvement from the previous "floppy" feel.

Problem now is I've agreed to sell it and I have seller's remorse after taking it out this morning. Crap.

Looking ahead though I have a plan of acquiring a Breva 1200S but have an impression it is an altogether different bike than this 2004 LeMans. Anyone ride the two bikes I'd like to hear your impressions.

Night and day difference between the Breva/1200 Sport and a red frame V11 for sure. Have not rode a LeMans, but I assume it is much the same. To me the new one is a marshmallow in comparison. Even the Griso is dull in comparison to the V11. Everybody has different tastes I realize, but the V11 is a sweet handling bike that gives the rider plenty of feed back and is quick to respond to rider input. The newer Guzzi's feel softer (not counting the over the top compression dampening the Griso has stock), slower, and not as sharp to me. I love the look of my Griso but prefer the ride of my Daytona or the wifes V11.

Find a dealer to let you take one out for a extended test ride, only you can decide for yourself.

Night and day difference between the Breva/1200 Sport and a red frame V11 for sure. Have not rode a LeMans, but I assume it is much the same. To me the new one is a marshmallow in comparison. Even the Griso is dull in comparison to the V11. Everybody has different tastes I realize, but the V11 is a sweet handling bike that gives the rider plenty of feed back and is quick to respond to rider input. The newer Guzzi's feel softer (not counting the over the top compression dampening the Griso has stock), slower, and not as sharp to me. I love the look of my Griso but prefer the ride of my Daytona or the wifes V11.

Find a dealer to let you take one out for a extended test ride, only you can decide for yourself.

That's disappointing to hear because the V11 has everything I want except for the nagging concern about imminent shift return pawl spring failure and the seat/riding position which I could have addressed but instead had to open my trap about selling.

Of course you're right about doing a long test ride to tell for sure. I like the Sport 1200 looks, the 6 gallon tank and some of the refinements that have been incorporated into the newer model Guzzis but I hate to give up the torque, sweet running and handling my bike has for a newer, less performing machine. Sellers remorse already...

And thanks for the input.