Crash Damage

pete roper

Sad though this is for me it may well be of use to others in determining if their V11 is worth even attempting to repair.

The pics below are of my Mate Johnny's Scura that he was killed on last year. While the complete absence of anything forward of the steering head is down to damage inflicted when the bike went under rthe draw-bar of the Caravan that was doing a U-turn in front of him across double white lines just over the brow of a hill the frame, engine and other ancilliary damage is VERY typical of what happens in virtually any low-side where the machine comes to a sudden stop.

Note the twisted frame. Kinked sub frame and smashed timing chest. Any time you see a cracked timing chest you cabn pretty much write the bike off as it means that the neck of the frame is twisted.

4475205456_232ba818d1_o.jpg

4475207936_556beb6355_o.jpg

4474431255_a1dc2baf1f_o.jpg

4474432009_74c0a211e6_o.jpg

4474432241_23e7324437_o.jpg

4474432609_dd48edef3e_o.jpg

4474433051_67bb084820_o.jpg

4475208212_4eef89f017_o.jpg

4474433835_d44ca36936_o.jpg

I've got a few more pics but they are mainly cosmetic damage. A huge shame as prior to the crash this was a superbly presented Scura. Used to be owned by one of the posters here I believe. And no, I don't want anyone trying to tell me it will come up just fine with a bit of spit and polish.

Pete

That's really sad Peter, I'm sorry you lost your friend that way.

I don't think I would even try and salvage parts off a bike like that, it should have been buried along with your friend.

My V11 was in a similar accident, car turning in front but fortunately the owner came off with a few scrapes

and i was able to purchase the bike and restore it. Broken headlight mainly.

Again, my condolences on your loss

Roy

Nah, S'OK. I've done my grieving for Johnny and he wouldn't want his friends hanging about being maudlin.

I have the task of trying to sort out the insurance side of the bike itself. It's obviously a deader. All I'm trying to ensure is that John's widdow gets the full value of the bike and the idiot who killed him and his insurance company don't wriggle out of ANY of their obligations.

I'll probably take one of the badges off the side and the identification plaque off it's top triple clamp and mount them on a trophy for the rally next year. Probably for the person who gets drunkest and makes the biggest arse of themselves. Johnny would approve of that :grin:

rbudgie2.jpg

That's 'The Man' and his bike 2 days before he died. Never one for regrets was Johnny!!! :thumbsup:

Pete

Sad story (because it's a quite typical one), sad pictures. Interesting exhaust, though.

Hubert

Alas so. As a mate on one of the other boards said, bloody caravans should only be allowed out on the roads for one hour a day between 3 and 4AM, and then only on days of the week with a 'B' in them.

Not sure about the pipes. I have a feeling they might be Staintune CF ones but I'm not sure. I'll have a close look tomorrow if you like.

Pete

Yes, taking something of his bike for a reminder would be quite appropriate,

How about those nice round nuts on the exhaust clamps, you could put

them on your bike somewhere as a nice reminder of your friend, Every

time you polished it.

Cheers

Roy

Alas so. As a mate on one of the other boards said, bloody caravans should only be allowed out on the roads for one hour a day between 3 and 4AM, and then only on days of the week with a 'B' in them.

Not sure about the pipes. I have a feeling they might be Staintune CF ones but I'm not sure. I'll have a close look tomorrow if you like.

Pete

I hate caravans too. And the pipes are the original Scura ones.

I don't think I would even try and salvage parts off a bike like that, it should have been buried along with your friend.

I take the opposite tack: it should be parted out, & any parts still useful sold off, heck, even given away to folks who need them to get their bikes back on the road.

That way some part of Johnny would still riding out there somewhere. Heck, in this modern world w/ Guzzisti spread out all over the world & all networked via the interweb, there'd be a good chance that he'd never *stop* riding, that there'd be one of his parts on a bike out there in the sun every day, no matter what! Ain't that a happy thought! :)

Dibs on the porkchops! I like mine w/ roasted pineapple on the side... :lol: