Transmission noise

c20500

Was looking at a V11 2003 naked for a friend that looks like a ringer for my 04. when idling there was a whirring noise that would go away temporarily by pulling in the clutch. Also, when slowing down in 1st gear to a near standstill I could hear what seemed like a different version of the noise I heard when idling... definitely not a gear noise but more like a bearing or a shaft not getting oil.... plenty of clean looking oil in the sight glass. This bike has only 3,500 miles and looks it. I can only hear it idling in neutral intermitantly (clutch out)..and only in 1st gear when slowing down. Could there be a bad bearing on a particular shaft?

Regards

Appreciate any feedback.

Charles

Was looking at a V11 2003 naked for a friend that looks like a ringer for my 04. when idling there was a whirring noise that would go away temporarily by pulling in the clutch. Also, when slowing down in 1st gear to a near standstill I could hear what seemed like a different version of the noise I heard when idling... definitely not a gear noise but more like a bearing or a shaft not getting oil.... plenty of clean looking oil in the sight glass. This bike has only 3,500 miles and looks it. I can only hear it idling in neutral intermitantly (clutch out)..and only in 1st gear when slowing down. Could there be a bad bearing on a particular shaft?

Regards

Appreciate any feedback.

Charles

HI Charles

V11 gearbox is noisy anyway due to to 3 shaft design. You may have two noises, there is lost of rattling and whirring in neutral at idle due to dry clutch plates. Pull in clutch and it goes. The other whir could be anything, I wouldn't worry about it unles you are seeing debris in the oil or it's very loud.

Cheers

Jon