Le Mans 2003 Rear Brake Problems

Bogwopit

Hi Everyone,

took my '03 Le Mans out for a short ride today.After 5 or 6 miles the rear brake was binding so bad it nearly locked up.Rotor very hot and unable to push bike. After 10-15 minutes of cooling down the brake had freed off and was able to ride again. After similiar distance the same thing occured again.Once I got the bike home I removed the caliper suspecting a siezed piston but they are both moving freely.I now suspect the rear brake cylinder.

Anyone have a similiar problem or anyone want to share some thoughts?

Andy Roo.

Hey Andy, The position of the caliper, "Face Up", just begs for dirt to get in there. Pucks don't back off all the way and light brake pad contact creates heat, which in turn swells your pads and rotor (let's not forget possible warping :o) which now bind tighter, making this a vicious cycle of FuchHH!!! Could you have air somehow in the caliper? It heats up, increases the pressure without your knowlege, again, friction. This has been a fairly common thread in the past so a quick search will be well worth your effort :thumbsup:

With the bike reassembled: can you get the wheel in the air, spin the wheel and apply substantial pressure to the brake. Let off the brake and see if the wheel turns freely. If it does not, you have a sticking caliper or brake hose.

Hey Andy, The position of the caliper, "Face Up", just begs for dirt to get in there. Pucks don't back off all the way and light brake pad contact creates heat, which in turn swells your pads and rotor (let's not forget possible warping :o) which now bind tighter, making this a vicious cycle of FuchHH!!! Could you have air somehow in the caliper? It heats up, increases the pressure without your knowlege, again, friction. This has been a fairly common thread in the past so a quick search will be well worth your effort :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help guys,

I did try to find info. before I posted but could n't find anything;no suprise really as I can only just manage to Log on!

I have not had the rear brake system apart since I've had the bike,and it has not done many miles so I'am not sure about the air problem.I'll replace all fluid when Ire-assemble later today.

Once I get it together I'll put it on the paddock stand and see how free the wheel is.

Thanks for the input.

Andy

Hi Everyone,

took my '03 Le Mans out for a short ride today.After 5 or 6 miles the rear brake was binding so bad it nearly locked up

Andy Roo.

You didn't adjust the little cam roller that acts s a stop for the brake pedal recently did you?

Just asking

Roy

Don't forget, there's also a tiny fluid return hole in the master cylinder that allows for excess fluid to bleed out of the line when hot. This often gets plugged w/ age & generates this type of symptom as well. There's a writeup on it at least once a year in the moto rags' "Tech questions"-type columns, usually someone who's just putting a 20 y.o. UJM back on the road they got for a song because it had been sitting for the last 10 years... But it can happen to newer, more exotic machinery too! ;)