Moto Guzzi Daytona

Guest boggycox

Guest boggycox

I have just noticed that there are two Daytonas for sale at dealers in Australia,Can anybody tell me what they are like to ride and maintain ase i have allways fancied owning one.

As a daytona addict I have to awnser. See my homepage for pictures.

Are we talking daytona or daytona rs?

Basicaly they are easy to do all the maintenance yourself. Just take one for a drive, thats the best way to find out if you like it. I did 10 years ago and got a new one.

Weak spots some have:

The cilinder heads sometimes crack, somewhere between the valves.

The valve guides wear quick, Guzzi didn't use the best material. Can be solved.

The daytona and first series daytona rs have staight cut gearboxes, good for power, but not as long living. The daytona has no rear cushion damper in the wheel, not good for the gearbox.

The RS has basicaly the same engine, but with tuning parts added, carrilo conods, forged pistons and hotter cam.

When the complete stock exhaust is on it, you won't have much midange power, that changes dramaticaly with a good exhaust system. ( I do have one for sale:-)

I do like the looks from the fist daytona more than the RS version, but that's personal.

A Daytona is a dream for a lot of guzzisti.

Guest Brian Robson

Thats a great name...boggycox.

Several friends and I camped out at the Reading rock festival in the 70's, and it rained so hard we all developed boggycox! :D

Guest boggycox

Brian,Funnily enough i aquired the boggy nickname while i was camping with the scouts back in the 70's if you hadnt used the toilet after a few days they made you take some laxative chocolate i then spent an hour on the toilet and one of my fellow campers started calling me boggy its stuck with me ever since.

From riding piont of view the very early daytonas are a bit disapionting. The engine is much smoother and spins up a little more freely than the two valve but thats about it. The early ones had three postions on the front forks 300mm front brakes striaght cut gearbox and and a 160 60 18 rear tyre and you have chioce of about five different tyres for this size as do carbed 1100 sports. If you want kudous/ rareity the early daytona racings are the way to go 100 only made six postion front forks (same as the latter carbed 1100 sport) 320 mm cast iron brembo brakes and most importantly a 'C' kit as standard in the motor. This made the jump to the four valve motor worth while it spins up much more freely as well as makes better power down a little on bottom end when compared to the two valve but midrange/top end makes up for that. Athough for the best the Daytona RS is really the wayt to go. The world versions got a more refined version of the C kit motor marchesini wheels (including a 17 inch rear) WP front end as well as rear shock helical cut gearbox cush drive in the rear hub cast Iron brembos all the bits that made this a thing to ride amd fitted with the much more stylish IMO 1100 sport body work. Major drawback is fitted with the dredded webber marelli M16 fuel injection computer and the fuel tank is stupidly small. Around 200 total production.