Charging light inoperable

Jamie

Ok, so I found that the connections inside the bulb housing were not making contact with the bulb contacts, straightened the prongs out - bulb works! (happy)

Jamie

Ain't it great when it turns out to be something simple?:thumbsup:

Yes, I was certainly very happy until I got the panel back together and the dang light was not working again! Must be something loose or not making a good connection?

Must be so. Try pulling the panel again and wiggling the bulb, the socket, the wiring to see if it affects the bulb and localize the fault. Those warn bulbs all ground together, so it could be a ground fault. Something is loosing connection.

Yes, I was certainly very happy until I got the panel back together and the dang light was not working again! Must be something loose or not making a good connection?

The sockets on my V11 are the worst, no better than you get on a string of Christmas lights. I pluged in an LED replacement and they shorted right out. I ended up soldering the new lamps in place. LEDs should last me out.

Roy

I found that the charging light comes on after I turn the ignition switch on/off/on quickly... it happens every time - but it does not come on with switching it to ON... it also works correctly after a ride... (and goes off after the engine is running) I wiggled and fiddled with the wiring and the light will not go on unless the above conditions are met...? At least I know it's not the bulb!?

I found that the charging light comes on after I turn the ignition switch on/off/on quickly... it happens every time - but it does not come on with switching it to ON... it also works correctly after a ride... (and goes off after the engine is running) I wiggled and fiddled with the wiring and the light will not go on unless the above conditions are met...? At least I know it's not the bulb!?

Then it must be in the regulator itself, I suspect by going On/Off/On you are setting up different set of conditions than just straight Off to On. My guess is a capacitor is retaining a charge so next time it comes on.

I sure wish I could get a schematic of the regulator internals, I could be more help if I had that. Does anyone know the make & model fitted?

I think I may tackle the alternator circuit diagram as my next project.

BTW is it charging OK?

Does anyone know the make & model fitted?

Ducati Energia Part # 343637 (Ducati Energia is not the same company as Ducati motorcycles, but they share history from back in the 50's).

Then it must be in the regulator itself, I suspect by going On/Off/On you are setting up different set of conditions than just straight Off to On. My guess is a capacitor is retaining a charge so next time it comes on.

I sure wish I could get a schematic of the regulator internals, I could be more help if I had that. Does anyone know the make & model fitted?

I think I may tackle the alternator circuit diagram as my next project.

BTW is it charging OK?

Yes, it is pumping out 14 +/- volts @ 2000 rpm - seems correct...?

Yes, it is pumping out 14 +/- volts @ 2000 rpm - seems correct...?

On my bike there is a two pin connector on the short cable from the regulator. The non reversable M/F

one just by the front of the tank. One of the wires must go to the light the other must be the 12 V

reference from headlight circuit to regulator. I think with the key on you should find 12V on both

wires one 12V direct via the headlight relay, one 12V through the charging lamp. Try that with your

meter. Then try connecting to ground via a 12V lamp, it should light on one but make the charging

lamp light on the other.

Roy

0219_001.pdf