Pillion discomfort

Phil Rusted

Just got back from a 1000mile long weekend with my girlfriend on the Le Mans.

To say she was in some discomfort is an understatement. There were tears for the last 150 miles.

Anyway, does anyone know of any way to make the pillion seat more comfortable without having to do a million things to the seat base (as described elsewhere in this forum) as I am inherantly lazy.

Is there a suitable replacement seat unit available anywhere??

Thanks

I know its not a seat mod, but have you considered a pillion footpeg mod to make the position more comfortable, there was a long topic on the mgcgb forum about this recently. A sheepskin pad or an airhawk may relieve the numb bum issue.

Hi there,

I have had a quick look through some of the hanger modification threads, but perhaps not the one you are referring too. To get the pegs down an inch or two would probably make a world of difference to be honest.

Any clues where I can find the thread??

Thanks

Phil

thats funny, it brings you back to this website with a discussion from 2006, lol

I'd just like a highway peg kit so I can move my feet around, granted its only a few inches fwd but it would help with discomfort and you still don't touch the jugs, I'd also like a sheepskin I think

Thanks for those replies. I have written to the chap from the guzzi forum to see if he has any problems with the pegs being further forward and if not then has he got a set for sale.

I guess I could get some made up quite easily.

In fact I have an engineer next door to me who makes frames for old Triumphs etc, featherbeds, I may pop and see him later depending on replies from the other forum.

Thanks for the help

Phil

I solved the problem by bringing this home,

IMG_0493.jpg

I still need to get a seat re-build AND a backrest.. any of you have one of those Jardine AM rests for sale?

Anyway, does anyone know of any way to make the pillion seat more comfortable without having to do a million things to the seat base (as described elsewhere in this forum) as I am inherantly lazy.

Rich Maund can make the pillion's perch more comfortable... but the monoposto "beauty cover" won't fit any more! It's a function of enough padding & support to make a difference is much more than what's already there, I guess.

As other's have pointed out, getting the passenger foot pegs down so her legs aren't kept bent double the whole time will also be helpful.

A backrest will make a world of difference too, as she won't have to keep leaning forward the entire time; the ability to shift around to relieve pressure w/o feeling like she's going to come off the back of the bike will relieve the discomfort a lot. Yep, that means a sissy-bar or a top-box, but that's what it will take to make your pillion happy, maybe in combination w/ the seat rebuild.

Otherwise, don't plan on company for trips longer than about 1/2 hour... :rolleyes:

I solved the problem by bringing this home,

IMG_0493.jpg

I still need to get a seat re-build AND a backrest.. any of you have one of those Jardine AM rests for sale?

I fit one on my Cali Aluminum that came from a Yamaha cruiser off Ebay. I just asked the different sellers to give me the measurments until I found one close enough to work. Maybe you could find something similar? Think it set me back $50 or so...

Nice bike you got!