Charge Light

parkjnl1

Is the charge indicator light on a 2000 V11 Sport supposed to come on when you turn the key on without it running or does it only come on if it's running and there is a charging failure? I was replacing the bulb for the turn indicators which was burned out and I just can't remember if the charge light was ever on. My alternator is charging (I tested at the battery)

This leads me to believe the ground may be bad but all of the other lights work.

Added later....

I thought I was going crazy so I double checked but the socket for the charge light has 12volts on BOTH sides and when I ground one side the light comes on.

I'm confused

Thanks

It should, yes. The 12V you see on the regulator side of the bulb probably comes through the filament, and the wire going to regulator is broken, or disconnected. Some of the aftermarket regulators are lacking the output, you have the stock one?

It should, yes. The 12V you see on the regulator side of the bulb probably comes through the filament, and the wire going to regulator is broken, or disconnected. Some of the aftermarket regulators are lacking the output, you have the stock one?

I do not know if the regulator is original. Honestly I don't know where it is. I bought it used so I don't have much history. Where is the regulator located and which color wire should I test

You can't miss the wire coming from the alternator (frontmost round cover on engine), follow it and you'll end up at the regulator. I'm not sure where it is on your bike. The stock one has "Ducati Energia" stamped on it, aluminium box with cooling fins. 2 x 3 inches or thereabouts.

You can't miss the wire coming from the alternator (frontmost round cover on engine), follow it and you'll end up at the regulator. I'm not sure where it is on your bike. The stock one has "Ducati Energia" stamped on it, aluminium box with cooling fins. 2 x 3 inches or thereabouts.

Thanks, I'll check it out

Ok so upon really getting into it I have found that the Black/Red wire side of the indicator light is 12volts the Blue wire side is 12volts and when grounded the light comes on. Following the blue wire it turns into the Black wire at the connector at the Voltage regulator. There is 0 Ohms of resistance between the connector at the regulator and the light socket leading me to believe there is something wrong internally in the regulator not grounding the circuit. The bike is charging at 14.7ish volts. I guess I should buy a new regulator or can live without the telltale light although it would be nice to have.

Am I correct in thinking the regulator has failed?

Thanks

Is the charge indicator light on a 2000 V11 Sport supposed to come on when you turn the key on without it running or does it only come on if it's running and there is a charging failure? I was replacing the bulb for the turn indicators which was burned out and I just can't remember if the charge light was ever on. My alternator is charging (I tested at the battery)

This leads me to believe the ground may be bad but all of the other lights work.

Added later....

I thought I was going crazy so I double checked but the socket for the charge light has 12volts on BOTH sides and when I ground one side the light comes on.

I'm confused

Thanks

I just had exactly the same thing happen to my '02 Lemans - replaced the charging light bulb, but it only comes on after a ride when I shut the engine down and then turn the key back on to restart, then it goes out (as it should after the engine is running... It never comes on when the engine is cold before starting. I am getting a 14.2 volt charge, so all is well with the system. I guess we can chalk it up to the ghosts... (or a loose connection somewhere)

I just had exactly the same thing happen to my '02 Lemans - replaced the charging light bulb, but it only comes on after a ride when I shut the engine down and then turn the key back on to restart, then it goes out (as it should after the engine is running... It never comes on when the engine is cold before starting. I am getting a 14.2 volt charge, so all is well with the system. I guess we can chalk it up to the ghosts... (or a loose connection somewhere)

Thanks,

I guess it's just a Guzzi quirk.