Tell me if I've made progress

dlapierre

I'm fooling around with my newly acquired 04' V11 Cafe Sport.

So, prior to following the instructions for adjusting the TPS, I took my dad's old CO analyzer and got 4% CO at idle and up to about 3K rpm. Past that, the mixture became increasingly lean and at 4K rpm was at 10% CO. I kinda thought I was burning rich because the mileage in Imperial gallons was, at best, 40 MPG. My 03' V11 gave me much better mileage than that...around 50 if I was careful.

Following the instructions, I noted the voltage at 210. I adjusted it down to 150, but didn't do anything beyond that. I ran the CO analyzer then and had 4% CO at idle again, but this time it dropped to 3% CO revving up to and including 4K rpm.

I didn't, or haven't yet balanced the throttles, but my question is, is this change for the better, or should I be expecting some sort of problems brought about by clearly running a more lean mixture?

In my experience the 525mV idle TPS reading is more important than the baseline 150mV reading with the linkage disconnected. If you can't get both readings forget the 150 and get the idle right. You should check the engine off idle TPS with the throttle linkage connected, the throttle closed and on the idle stop screw, and the high idle cam not contacting the throttle. Just doing the baseline won't do you any good at all if the idle TPS is very far from 530mV. BTDT

The bike will cough, pop, run hot and occasionally stall if it's running lean.

The best I've attained is 41 miles per gallon doing a steady 70 on the highway. I've heard that the stock 04 v11 map is more on the rich side everywhere except for the 2800-3300 rpm area where it is somewhat lean.... MTC

Charles

04 V11 naked

with a my15m ecu and heavy cherry bomb inserts in stock cans....