Rosso Corsa oil leak from frame?

jam

I have a 2003 Rosso Corsa which I bought 2 years ago with 750 miles on it. I've put about 35,000 miles on it since then. It has started leaking oil a significant amount, from up high and in the front, in the last 2 weeks. It's being looked at, with the gas tank off. I am very weak mechanically, but took some pix of it tonight. Leaking from the neck where it meets the frame. Interestingly, some 2003 and 2004 EVs were recalled for oil leaks in the same place on the frame. Has anyone out there experienced this with their Rosso or other LM? Thanks, all.

As I've written previously on this forum, I LOVE this moto, and have had SO many wonderful days and miles on it.... It pains me greatly to ponder the possibilities.....

Here are the pix:

from the right side -

oilleak006.jpg

oilleak007.jpg

from the left side -

oilleak008.jpg

my motor is wet around the same area.. I thought it was the timing cover gasket weeping.. the oil level never seems to go down tho.. I ride it w/no worries till I get the energy to fix it.

so do you suppose the in frame breather has a leak?

Well, the timing cover WAS leaking before, but has been fixed. It's not leaking from there anymore. And the breather hose has been checked - I don't believe it's that. I lived with some minor leakage before (which required very little oil addition, just mostly vigilance), which turned out to be the timing cover and the ignition timing sensor, both of which have been fixed. This is something new and is more alarming because the oil level has been significantly low the last 2 weeks - have had to add quite a bit of oil since this developed.

Can the crush washer under the banjo bolt be seen in the pix?

Thank you, all, for responding.

If it's not the hose take a look at the crush washer under the banjo bolt. When mine leaked up there I shortened the hose and put it back on.

Well, the timing cover WAS leaking before, but has been fixed. It's not leaking from there anymore. And the breather hose has been checked - I don't believe it's that. I lived with some minor leakage before (which required very little oil addition, just mostly vigilance), which turned out to be the timing cover and the ignition timing sensor, both of which have been fixed. This is something new and is more alarming because the oil level has been significantly low the last 2 weeks - have had to add quite a bit of oil since this developed.

Can the crush washer under the banjo bolt be seen in the pix?

Thank you, all, for responding.

I wonder if the radiator (oil cooler) could have a pin hole leak that sprays a mist out when you running? or same thing from the feed or return line?

You might also check the steering damper, the seals can go bad and leak a small amount of oil. I have never noticed any oil on mine up around the steering head just the timing cover area. (22000 miles)

Hal

You might also check the steering damper, the seals can go bad and leak a small amount of oil. I have never noticed any oil on mine up around the steering head just the timing cover area. (22000 miles)

Hal

Thank you, all, for your feedback. Here is the latest, after some testing, and very helpful consultation with Todd Eagan. A compression test was done, and the right cylinder was fine at 185 psi; the left cylinder was at 95 psi - NOT GOOD. So it's thought that excessive blow-by in the crankcase is forcing oil up into the upper frame, which is leaking (there has always been a little weepage from that upper frame area - there must be a tiny pin-hole or crack or something in that upper frame, but it has never been noteworthy till now). I believe my options at this point are a top-end engine rebuild or engine swap. Will decide shortly which way to go, depending on several different things. I feel pretty confident that this is the issue after spending an hour yesterday with the local guy who did the testing, and having Todd involved. This diagnosis is also consistent with a coupla little things that occurred recently with the moto.

I've been feeling so bummed, because I'm so in love with this bike, but feel a lot better now, since I believe it's been diagnosed and can be made healthy again, even tho it'll clearly involve some dough. I just want to be able ride it again. I miss it BAD. I also have a Yam FZ1 - took it out for a spin yesterday, and it just ain't even close to the same riding experience.... the FZ is fast and all, and lighter and more flickable, but still.... vanilla.....

Thank you again, all of you, for your input and interest. i'll keep you posted.

• 4 weeks later...

just wanted to post these pix of the damage to the left cylinder of my RC, coz they're so graphic. The amazing thing is that I rode another 800 miles after this damage was done, I believe. A testament to the strength of these bikes, as well as my stupidity (not necessarily in that order....).

Re potential cause(s): consensus seems to be maybe valve adjustment issues, maybe mapping issues, maybe????

I'm getting an engine rebuild done. Can't wait to get back in the saddle....

(Not sure the pix are getting shown....)

Photobucket

Photobucket