Regulator Repair

Kiwi_Roy

Hi,

I have pulled a couple of old regulators apart now, it's not that hard, you just need to be a bit carefull removing the circuit board so as not to damage some expensive parts. If anyones interested I gan do a blow by blow proceedure.

Roy

Hi,

I have pulled a couple of old regulators apart now, it's not that hard, you just need to be a bit carefull removing the circuit board so as not to damage some expensive parts. If anyones interested I gan do a blow by blow proceedure.

Roy

K-Roy, I have my OEM regulator that was giving me the intermittent high voltage issue. If I could repair it, it would be nice to have a spare.

If you have time/desire to do the write-up, I'd be interested.

Dennis

Is there any single component that fails consistently?

So far I have only pulled 3 apart so I can hardly point to anything but in 2 cases the diodes had come unsoldered and were arcing. This is easy to test for because the diodes are connected between each yellow wire and the red. In fact if you tested and found one open it would be possible to just dig out the corner, cut through the circuit board and repair/replace or simply hang another diode yellow to red on the outside.

In the picture you will see what I mean (upper left side of case / right hand side of inverted circuit board) the leads have melted off and the diodes are black from arcing. What looks like a tack laying across the edge of the copper part is the lead that melted off the top diode. The lead from the bottom diode is still attached to the circuit board, RH side 1/2 way down.

Actually this regulator is quite repairable, the leads can be soldered back and a couple of cheap components replaced (I destroyed a few getting it apart). The two black semiconductors screwed into the case are the SCRs which are ok. It also has a burnt resistor on the circuit indicating a short circuit in the charge light lampholder but that didn't stop it working

Bad Diodes.jpg

Another picture showing the diode removed alongside a good pair.

It is possible to clean up and solder the others back together, I did that

with the one on my bike, so far it's hanging together touch wood

However this is my project - to replace the original components rated at

about 20 Amps with 50 Amp units, a full bridge rectifier and single SCR

Bad diodes 2.jpg

Bad diodes 3.jpg