SAGtastic News!!!!

Guest captain nemo

Guest captain nemo

Wow, Mike.....

I just went out to do the sag proceedure as you do it and got entirely different results! Here we go:

1. measurement of lifted bike per your photo of measurement from rear axle to a mark near the 'V11 Sport' logo - 20 and 2/16 ths inches.

2. measurement of static bike with no rider and tire on ground - 19 and 13/16ths inches.

3. measurement of rider sitting on bike - 19 inches even.

TOTAL SAG: ONE AND 2/16THS INCHES! (or 30mm)

In Metrics:

change from lifted rear to static on-ground reading: 8mm

change from static reading to rider on bike: 22mm

TOTAL SAG: 30mm

This sounds good, but I cannot figure out why reading from the back fender (at reflector) would lead to completely different conclusions! :huh:

This sounds good, but I cannot figure out why reading from the back fender (at reflector) would lead to completely different conclusions!

The measurement should be done at a tangent to the arc that the wheel axle describes on the swinging arm. Methinks measuring at the reflector won't achieve this.

I think the answer is that more weight is put over the rear wheel than the front with rider aboard. This would cause the the rear of the bike to travel more at the rear fender and give you a higher measurement. There is also the compression of the tire when measuring from the ground.

I am glad you are in the ball park, now go out and ride! :bike:

Mike

This sounds good, but I cannot figure out why reading from the back fender (at reflector) would lead to completely different conclusions!

The measurement should be done at a tangent to the arc that the wheel axle describes on the swinging arm. Methinks measuring at the reflector won't achieve this.

Kiwi,

Knowledge comes with age! :thumbsup:

Happy Birthday!

Mike

Now, you have to release that maxed preload; your sag is TOO SMALL.

And yes, you measure sag only as a vertical movement of an axle relative to suspended part of the bike.

Guest captain nemo

Question: Now that we know that I have max preload in spring and very little sag - what would you think a good setting would be for compression and rebound? Zero? What would be your guess?

Guest Brian Robson

Zero on both compression and rebound would give a very interesting ride...riding on the spring only. You wouldn't stop bouncing from one bump to another.

The manual gives a decent starting point. The adjusters usually require a couple of turns to make any difference.

I'd say go to zero compression, and dial up as needed to prevent bottoming.

Push the the bottoming bumper up and see if it starts to bottom out under a mild ride, a medium ride, and a wild ride.

Dial in just enough rebound to keep it from wallowing.

And check your rear tire pressure.

I am suprised you get that much of a difference in sag measurements based on technique, especially since most of your weight is over the tank.

What is your front sag?

Guest captain nemo

Dlaing,

I get 11 black powder coated parts back today and will put them on tonight. Two of the pieces are the hangers for the rear footrests and mufflers. These I want to raise up somehow. And tomorrow I'm having a custom map made at Moto -

SO - I won't be able to check front sag until this weekend or so.

Guest captain nemo

Got all my powder coated pieces back and Big Dog helped me put them on. They look great! Pics to follow this weekend. We then went out for a ride to check out my sag. The Guzz is in Guzzi heaven. It rides very nice. I'm a little surprised; I suspected that it would be iron rods, but no. It is definitely tighter, and all the bumps and crannies of the road are clearly apparent in the feel, but it is not harsh. It is sporty and tight, but not unpleasant. :bike:

One and 1/8 inch sag. Rear. Will do the front when I get time.