How To Remove Rear Drive?

Janusz

My rear drive on V11S is leaking oil and I want to take it off and send to the shop for resealing. Tried to search but no success.

i need some advice how to do it please. First, I take the wheel off (I have a proper stand); is is an easy and straigtforward operaton? anything I should know?

Then I disconnect the torque arm- looks easy.

But how and where I separate the rear end from the driveshaft? Are the two allen bolts which seem to hold the driveshaft to the rear box shaft the ones to remove and it will just separate?

I do not want to start the job and the become stuck on something I do not know how to do it.

Please help. Thanks.

Drain the drive oil while hot, if possible. After removing the brake caliper (support it so it does not hang on the hose) and the wheel, leave the axle bolt partway in to support the rear drive. Once the torque are bolt is out (might require drifting), the shaft can simply be pulled apart at its slip joint after the axle bolt is pulled out. There is a small spacer between the rear drive and the wheel. Be certain the alignment marks are clear, otherwise make new ones.

It is a good time to also clean and inspect the shaft and U-joints with new grease. (I found one of my Zerks had gone missing).

Here is a recent thread on my effort: Rear Drive Seal /replacement

And a few tips on some things that could use a little loving while you have the wheel off: FAQ Maintenance Checklist