V11 Newbie - shopping

Moto What

Hello - Forum newbie here and it's my first post. I've owned a loop, a California, and a EV - so pretty familiar with Guzzi in general. However, I'm not versed well in the V11's.

Well the bug caught me and now I'm shopping for a V11. Primarily looking in the model year 2000-2004 window.

I'm wondering what things I should look for when inspecting and/or test riding a V11 so I don't buy a bike that was beat.

Also, can anybody recommend a URL that shows what recalls (if any) for 2000-2004 V11's.

Really like reading this forum so far - thanks in advance to the hosts and posters.

Thanks much!

Hello - Forum newbie here and it's my first post. I've owned a loop, a California, and a EV - so pretty familiar with Guzzi in general. However, I'm not versed well in the V11's.

Well the bug caught me and now I'm shopping for a V11. Primarily looking in the model year 2000-2004 window.

I'm wondering what things I should look for when inspecting and/or test riding a V11 so I don't buy a bike that was beat.

Also, can anybody recommend a URL that shows what recalls (if any) for 2000-2004 V11's.

Really like reading this forum so far - thanks in advance to the hosts and posters.

Thanks much!

is that loop the Eldo you just sold?

2000's have slightly smaller red frames with tighter geometry and corner a tiny bit better and seem to have more relay problems, lots of 2002+ have black engine cases that flake off but don't effect performance its just paint if you don't care who cares? Some have speedo's and/or tachs go out but that is nothing new to guzzi, pretty rare, avoid the single plate clutch varieties unless its been replaced with a RAM clutch like the Scura and Rosso Mandello as they like to detonate inside their housing around what 20k? check for but don't be too surprised to see oil seepage as the timing belt cover seal looks like it lasts 10 years and starts to seep, mine is. Easy fix and not much of a concern you've owned older bikes you know how it goes. Check to make sure the rear shock isn't cracked at the top, seems to happen on the ones by the seas with salt getting in there and corroding it? 2002+ seem to have the pawl spring problem as they used the wrong spring from the factory from what I know only effects the 2002+ again, see aprilia took over in 2002 and things were a mess for a bit. Solid bikes that run forever but you already know this.

I think Ben gave a pretty good ,quick overview which I would agree with.

I bought a Scura and think it's great,but the possibility of the clutch blowing up ,pisses me off.Some say don't worry about it,don't know if any US Scuras have blown.

I would definalty go for the Ohlins equipped models,best handling bike Ive ridden.Rosso Corso,Nero Corso,Cafe Sport,Coppa Italia,Scura.I think the Nero is the best looking of all of them.

Currently a red frame 2000 on Ebay,see em going all the time for 4-4500 range.

Before you buy anything,do a search in the tech section, and you'll see if your model if not your paticular bike,has had any problems.There are many small,annoying or bigger problems thoughout the years range,but most are fixable and some have said they have had no problems.

Good luck and have fun with your new Guzzi.just don't expect to go out and not get compliments on your new ride as they tend to attract that,....

money shot.jpgThe investment in an Ohlins equipped version will definately make your experience that much more enjoyable, and it seems to be that the '03-04's are better sorted out over all, but any bike that has been ridden should have been sorted out by now. I would jump at ANY variation if the price was to your liking as these bikes must be felt to be appreciated... just my :2c: , Good Luck in your search, S.H. :notworthy::mg::wub:

P.S. Yeah, IT IS as FUN as IT LOOKS! (HEAVY my FUkkin' azz, why I oughta'...), and the stock seat AIN'T as bad as all the candy asses would lead ya to believe, etc...and DEFINATELY hit the FAQ's here.

Have a friend who has Termi's on his 996 SPS Ducati. They sound wonderful. I have Staintune's on my 2000 V11 Sport. They also sound wonderful. I've never had the two side by side to see which sounds better (he moved to New Mexico before I got my V11) but in my head it's a tough call. Of course I might be biased.

TDF

I've heard almost everything, FBF and Mistrals appear to be almost clones, I'm sure Mistral came first, MG TI cans are quieter but much nicer looking, the termi's I heard were raspier and louder than mistrals, stock is a ride on lawnmower kind of sound. Quat D's are quieter than I thought they would be I haven't heard them gutted in person but on video clips they sound mean.

Did I mention My V11 is for sale, is this Aron looking for a bike? Mine is on craigslist if you want to see it, not hard to miss. People keep asking me why it has a red tank, I didn't drop it or crash it, I liked the damn tank/color so I put it on, I got all the damn original body work under my work bench.

Well, ok Ben, but why do you like red so much if you didn't drop the bike? :rasta:

Seriously, I didn't know Termi even made a slip-on for Guzzis. The hot (common) setup seems to be either a Stucchi (more power at high rpm) or mistral (better low end) crossover with a variety of pipes. MG Ti pipes come with an ecu. I happily use.Mistral slip-ons that seem to work fine for me. I bet the performance differences are minimal (mister, stucchi, mg, staintune) but the sound is more apparent. Just my opinion and seat pant dyno from one datum point.

cause all my original body work isn't scratch or dent, Was just cheaper to get the new tank over painting the old one that way, it really was the new tank was $300 and thats cheap for a whole spankin new tank in a hard to duplicate color, its red indoors and metallic orange in the sun :bbblll:

I spent years scouring the internet and bugging more experience owners from around the world on my upgrade quest(no where near the level Jaap undertook hats off to him) you can fit ALL kinds of things on these bikes if the tubes are the same diameter, I've seen several one-offs at least I think they were, my all time favs are the quatd cones but I haven't heard them in person.

I'm just yanking your chain, Ben. The pictures I've seen of your bike look nice.

Cheers and good night- it's my bedtime. I really shoul link to a certain thread here, if oly I could remember its name......